Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium - Gold and Silver

Question FS: Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium - Gold and Silver

This horn looks like it is in very fine condition. Regular readers here know that I like Sterlings and used to play one. This is the top model, which includes a main tuning slide trigger and gold trim. It shows a hard case in the photo, so I assume that is included. Buy-it-now price is $3,999, which is a very good price for this top-of-the-line professional euphonium.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-Vir...-/361871970417

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	4710 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	4711 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	4712 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	4713
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. I was looking at this beauty. Just a quick caution to pay close attention to the valve cluster despite the message of "no dents or dings to speak of" from the seller. The tubing running between the 1st and 2nd valves looks to be dented and dinged. Other dings are apparent in the general vicinity.

Good observation, Longhorn. Thank you. Perhaps someone with expertise can comment on whether a good repair tech could likely smooth these out. To my eye, the two that look worst are the tube that you mentioned and also the one on the lower elbow of the first valve loop (where it returns to the valve casing), which looks like a rather long and deep crease. I wonder if an attempt to remove it might end up cracking the metal and requiring a solder or patch repair of some sort? I guess this explains the surprisingly low price from Quinn and creates some disappointment at his "no dents or dings to speak of" descriptor.

Can one of our Virtuoso owners comment on the trigger mechanism? The threaded rod is not present (although its anchors are) and I don't see a way to set the base tuning.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Can one of our Virtuoso owners comment on the trigger mechanism? The threaded rod is not present (although its anchors are) and I don't see a way to set the base tuning.
    Dave,

Both the threaded push rod from the trigger to the slide as well as the "stop screw" on the leg of the tuning slide are missing. Thus this horn has no way to set the base tuning at all. This will require some substantial amount of technician work to become usable. A push rod will need to be fabricated, though one could probably contact Paul Riggett and get one of the newer ones with a thumb screw. Also, the stop screw and thumb nuts need to be installed (not as big of a deal).

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    As to the comments about dents and creases: I could be wrong (and an email to Quinn could confirm my thinking), but I suspect what you are seeing as dents and creases is the light and reflections from the photos. I get the exact same thing many times when I take pictures of horns. I will check with Quinn and post my findings.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    So much for my previous post above. I contacted quinntheeskimo and his reply when asked about any dents on the slides around the 1st valve slide and the 1st valve to 2nd valve tubing:

"There are some minor dents on those spots but they don't impact the way that it plays. Thanks!"

Apparently some things are exactly as they appear!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Therefore, are the dents a major issue or could they be minor?
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

My observations of quintheeskimos horns is that he is careful to show all the defects, even they aren't described in detail. So look at every image very carefully! I wonder if there isn't a minor issue with the bell. Also the 1st valve compensating slide seems to be missing one of the little "knob"s that help to get a grip on it. Hard to tell from photos.

You are correct - the knob on the 1st valve comp slide is missing. Not a big deal in my experience. I take it out rarely, so when I do it is usually stuck a bit. If so, the little knob does not help me much, so I just loop a plastic strap or something though the curve and pull it that way.

If you click on an image in the lower part of the eBay listing it opens in a new tab. Most browsers shrink it to fit the available screen, but I can click it and get a larger version. If I do that I can see the denting pretty well on the small front slides. I doubt there is anything that would be noticed in playing, but perhaps the appearance would bother some.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast