Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeopardy! question

Wow, that is a bit crazy! Looks like alto, tenor and bass helicons there. Pretty impressive I'd say. The hardest instrument to play might be the snare drum. He's playing with both hands and steering with his right wrist. The only thing I didn't care for is the laughter from the audience. Don't they know how hard that is? Looks like this is from a Tattoo celebration.

Thanks for sharing MarChant.
    Last edited by RickF; 01-07-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I have two helicons and I march with both of them (not at the same time) in the St. Paul Police Band. Both are Eb. One is an 1895 J.W. Pepper large size imported from France and the other is a 1921 Frank Holton. Both are in excellent shape. They play well and attract crowd interest every time they come out. Tubas march in the front row in the police band so I'm front and center as we go down the street. There is a sousaphone on each side of me. I also played the solo part of "the Mighty Deep" with a concert band last summer on the Pepper horn. I also have played both at Tuba Christmas. That music is from the same time period. they are fun horns to play, lighter than a sousaphone, very comfortable because they are well balanced. A helicon is reasonable rare, but there are some out there. They are not as showy as a Sousa, but they are fun.

By the way, the Holton is for sale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12