Sponsor Banner

Collapse

interesting pieces for a beginning adult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billfrog
    • Jan 2017

interesting pieces for a beginning adult?

I've searched through the forums a bit to make sure I'm not asking something that's already been answered. If I missed something, I apologize.

I played treble clef euphonium in high school, now in my 40s I'm seeking to get back into the instrument as my wife bought me one. Here are my thoughts/questions, hopefully you can help me power through this rough beginning phase:
    - While I vaguely remember treble clef fingering, I'm thinking from what I've read here that I'd be better off learning bass clef as there may be more music available to me/easier to play with others (more likely to join in a bass line tuba-esque role than as a melodic trumpet type). Am I mistaken in this?
    - Beginning books that I've found are really for elementary school beginners. Is there anything out there that I could play with my limited range that's more interesting than Hot Cross Buns, etc? I do better when I have something to work towards that's fun to play that my friends would enjoy hearing. Sorry for the sacrilege, but that likely means not classical (but I guess that'll do in a pinch). Funk/soul have lots of horns but I can't seem to find anything. Something familiar (i.e. pop/rock, etc) that I could play on my own would be ideal.

- Any other tips/resources for someone reentering this world would be appreciated as well, I'm sure I don't know enough to know what questions to ask.

Thanks for your help and happy new year,
    Bill
  • John Morgan
    • Apr 2014

Welcome to the forum, Bill!

I think learning bass clef is a very good thing, and it usually opens more doors for you.

As for music, search the Internet for play along CDs. There are literally tons of them. You might choose trombone and get a book and CD of 12 or so popular tunes that you can play along with. There are all sorts and kinds of music with play along books and CDs. Popular, Christian, classical, jazz, seasonal (XMAS, etc.), etc. Just keep searching (play along, music minus one, etc.) and you will find many possibilities.

Look at the Rubank books for methodology and duets (find a partner!).

And, as always, the Arban's method book is the bible for brass players. Perhaps obtain one (the latest spiral bound version with comments by Alessi and Bowman). Pricey, but has much in it.

So what did your wife get you?? Good luck!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

John offers good advice above, but let me add another facet.

If there is a brass band near you, joining that would be a load of fun. But in brass bands, all brass parts (except for bass trombone) are written in treble clef.

Also, it may depend on the kind of solos you'd like to play. With bass clef you can play most euphonium solos, trombone solos, and even branch out to some of the cello or bassoon lit. With treble clef you can still play most euphonium solos as well as trumpet/cornet solos.

Either way, I also suggest you learn "the other" clef as soon as reasonable. That will give you the best flexibility.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• iiipopes
        • Feb 2016

I concur with the Rubank recommendations. I am the middle generation of three which have all used the Rubank books. In addition the materials in the method books, there are many published solo collections and other materials that encompass the entire range of technical and lyrical progression.

I also agree with Mr. Werden to learn both transposed treble clef and concert pitch bass clef notations as soon as possible, for the reasons he stated, which can be summed up as maximum flexibility. All those decades ago, when I played euph one summer in high school band camp when nobody else showed up to play and there were too many trumpets, I volunteered and asked for both folders, as I was certain there would be parts that would be different, depending on which concert piece it was. I was correct. Depending on which concert piece, I played either the treble or the bass clef part, or sometimes parts of both, as they were written differently.
        Last edited by iiipopes; 01-04-2017, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• jimpjorps
          • Sep 2015

Since you're looking for pop music, SheetMusicDirect.us has a subscription service called "Sheet Music Pass" that gives you monthly access to their archive of mostly rock, pop, Broadway and country music arrangements. The music viewer lets you transpose the music to different keys and has a simple MIDI backing track and automatic page turns.

There's also Chromatik, which is similar except the backing tracks are YouTube videos; this isn't quite as beginner friendly because a lot of the songs are in extremely unfriendly keys for a brass instrument.
          Dillon 3+1 non-comp euph - Wessex marching baritone - Dynasty DEG G baritone bugle
          Schiller American Heritage Bb/F trombone
          Kanstul Contra Grande G contrabass bugle - Schiller American Heritage 3/4 4V piston BBb tuba

Comment

• daviste
            • Jan 2016

If you just want some fun/familiar stuff everyone knows then you could check out TubaPeter, too. My band director has gotten us a couple of Tuba Christmas tunes from this website as well as some music for the Low Brass Choir when solo and ensemble comes around.
            T.J. Davis

Wessex Dolce
            G&W Kadja

Comment

• billfrog
              • Jan 2017

Thank you so much, everyone, this is very helpful.
              Based on the first response, I went online and bought a couple music minus one's for trombone. Now that I've heard more (particularly the part about brass bands, not that I know of any nor am I ready yet), I think I may focus more on the treble clef for now and save the trombone books for once I've got more experience under my belt (and know what sound goes with what fingering, regardless of what sheet music I'm reading). On that note, if I'm starting with treble clef and getting a Rubank, should I get it for Trumpet? Or should I get the Baritone Rubank and start my (re)learning on bass clef?
              Either way, I'm excited to check out the SheetMusicDirect music pass, that looks like just the thing.

Comment

• John Morgan
                • Apr 2014

If you stick with treble clef, you can also get the music minus one for trumpet, which will work just fine for treble clef euphonium/baritone. And until you get your bass clef chops.

You can get the Rubank trumpet books. The Rubank books for trombone/baritone are only in bass clef, as far as I know.

That being said, my recommendation to you regarding the clefs would be learn bass clef. Unless you do have a brass band in your area (and assuming you could get into it as well), I believe it is more useful/practical to know bass clef than treble clef, if you had to pick one. It is ultimately better to know both, but if you are not that fluent on treble clef and fingerings right now, I would spend the time doing this familiarity training with bass clef. Excluding brass band, in almost every other situation (wind band, orchestra, brass quintet, tuba/euphonium quartet, playing from a church hymnal-bass clef part) you will usually ALWAYS find a bass clef part. In those playing situations, you may find a treble clef part, but not always.

I would buy the Rubank books for trombone/baritone. If you get the first in the series (elementary) it will show you the notes and fingerings, and you are well on your way to being proficient in bass clef. Pat yourself on the back. Get an upgrade to your horn, which is a what, by the way??? Or maybe not, your wife bought that for you, better be a happy camper.
                John Morgan
                The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                Year Round Except Summer:
                Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                Summer Only:
                Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• billfrog
                  • Jan 2017

I think it's best for my marriage that I remain a happy camper with my Mendini, by Cecilio, no matter how badly it sounds, at least until I've gotten good enough to join some sort of band/activity outside the house - until that point it's just another hobby I might tire of.

I remember treble clef well enough to sightread songs listed at an experience rating of 2 at http://www.osfabb.com/html/free_music_r.html, which gives me a bit of momentum that I'd like to maintain before going back to having to write fingerings on every note.

Comment

• meowmix1
                    • Jan 2017

Hi . A high school level book maybe good for you to practice and refresh your memory . I really enjoy finding rock music books on ebay and playing those . You haven't lived until you see the expression on someone's face when you play Metallica on a Euphonium lol . There's some composition programs for pc that read midi files and show you the sheet music for it . Those are fun too for fast easy practice material . I think the one I use is called Noteworthy Composer , but I'm sure there's others.

Comment

• euphlight
                      • May 2016

Learning to comfortably read both bass and treble clef helps. In my experiences with Christian play along music books atleast, the bass clef edition is too watered down and simplified. More often then not, the bass clef edition seems to be more intended for trombone players in mind.

Comment

• billfrog
                        • Jan 2017

I broke my hand this week and the worst part abot=ut it (worse than typos) is I cant practice!!
                        I was making good progress, too

Comment

• Rodgeman
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by billfrog View Post
                          I broke my hand this week and the worst part abot=ut it (worse than typos) is I cant practice!!
                          I was making good progress, too
                          Sorry to hear. You could just buzz using your mouthpiece and practice breathing.
                          Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Comment

• davewerden
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2005

Ouch! Another option is to borrow a trombone and practice on that for a while. Does't help with fingerings, but it will keep your chops active and help with pitch.
                            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                            YouTube: dwerden
                            Facebook: davewerden
                            Twitter: davewerden
                            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
                            X