Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 4-Valve Compensated Baritone

1. New 4-Valve Compensated Baritone

I am pleased to start 2017 announcing yet another new model from Wessex Tubas. This is our BR144 Bb Compensated baritone with 4-valves which we have named the 'Secundus' which means in Latin second - as we believe this is just the instrument to use to play 2nd baritone in a brass band. It will also be a great doubling instrument for euphonium players familiar with the 4-valve compensated system.

The baritone will be available to try at Butlins, Skegness at the brass band contest in couple weeks and then in USA at NAMM and US Army Workshop in the next month.

We expect the BR144 to be available for sale from August with price similar to our Dolce euphonium.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3244.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	4692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3245.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	4693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3246.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	4694
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

That looks very promising Jonathan. Hope to get to try one some day.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

looks real nice! I'm looking forward to trying it out.
    --
    Barry

Interesting idea. I can see perceive the use of a 4 valve compensating baritone for those rare times which an euphonium player is playing bass clarinet or bassoon cues or parts. The baritone would make it easier to balance with the clarinets versus the euphonium in exposed areas.

Cool! It would be nice to get a 4v compensating bari without paying a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by euphlight View Post
    Interesting idea. I can see perceive the use of a 4 valve compensating baritone for those rare times which an euphonium player is playing bass clarinet or bassoon cues or parts. The baritone would make it easier to balance with the clarinets versus the euphonium in exposed areas.
    Hmm...that's something I've never thought of before. Certainly a narrow niche-but it would be useful for those in school/community groups. Not worth justifying the purchase of a baritone by itself, but an interesting possible use of it.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

Other brands are making 4-valve baritones now, including Besson. Originally I suppose people thought (understandably) that the smaller bore and tone of the baritone was not suitable in the low range. However, now the bore is larger (in the .540+ range) and tone darker, so the capability is better. But also, I suspect composers like the new options.

I would like having one myself, but I can't justify the cost. In my church group I could see a good fit when I'm covering trombone parts, and often the 2nd bone goes outside the 3-valve range. But no one has offered to gift me one yet, so...
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'm so used to using 4th valve with my euph that when I subbed on baritone (3v comper), that I kept trying to find it with my left index finger. Took me awhile to get used to 1-3 again.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

8. My Yamaha 621s baritone and low notres

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I'm so used to using 4th valve with my euph that when I subbed on baritone (3v comper), that I kept trying to find it with my left index finger. Took me awhile to get used to 1-3 again.
    My Yamaha 621s baritone is a 3+1. I play in 3 local concert bands--the 1st trombone part in one, the 2nd trombone part in the second, and the bassoon part in the third. I use a Schilke 51D mouthpiece and sound quite good (I think) when playing a G below the scale. I play quite a few notes A or below in the bassoon part and the 3+1 works well.

I like having a 4-valve baritone as I find the technique to be a lot easier and the extended range helps you borrow more solo literature from euphonium (and other instruments).

Here's a video of me playing my Besson 2056 prestige on a solo piece that goes down to low concert B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtU9YzobqTk

That said, I'm playing a 3-valve exclusively these days.
    --
    Barry

Very Nice!
    Last edited by CFrishman; 01-09-2017 at 01:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast