Thread: Deeper than B2?

1. Deeper than B2?

Usually I canīt get deeper than B1flat on the open horn. Today I had a strange experience. With valve 4 pressed I went down to F1 and then together with 123 to B2 which is said to be the deepest reachable note on the Euphonium (though with some bending I can get close to B2flat). When i went up to F1 again I just released valve 4 and heard me playing a (+-)F1 on the B-Euphonium with no valves in use. Itīs hard to reproduce it. But its possible. And with the usage of only valves 123 and bending I can reach down close to my lowest note B2 but not deeper. With a Wallace Practice Mute it is even more easy, probably because of the increase of resistance. Going down beyond B1flat on the open B-Instrument is now part of my daily routine.

Now I am asking myself and you. Can I expect to discover deeper notes than B2 on my Euphonium? I know, there is no need to. B2 is on the third key far left on a piano. And I remember when I played Tuba A2 was my deepest sound. Musically, deeper wonīt be usefull. But itīs a lot of fun to play down there and Iīve realized practicing the contra register helps me a lot in improving range, tonguing, airflow etc.
    Guten Rutsch, Happy New Year!
    Sterling Virtuoso / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha 642 II / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha YBH 831S / Giddings Kadja S
    Yamaha Flügelhorn 631GS / DW2FL

If you want to keep working, I'm not sure what the bottom limit might be. You are playing false tones below the B, but they can be useful. I have gotten down to the G below B. In the recording below I went down to a Bb as a false tone around 5:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoBFiHCPhM
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Very nice to hear you playing Capuzzi's Allegro Moderato. I really like your profound deep tones!
    Over Christmas holidays I had time to practice a lot on low and high range. One helps the other and both help my mid range. Many of us neglect practicing the low range and aim for these "double high C" like trompeters do.
    Hard to play, but a good exercise: Four octave glissandos and scales over four octaves which only work when you can start deep enough. A helpful advice from a friend was not to overdo these little artistic ecercises. 10 repetitions a day are probably enough. I ruined my embochure by overdoing and had to take a break for two days. The third day I played only low pieces from The Bordogni "Melodious Etudes" for tuba. Today is the fourth day of this little adventure and I am back to easy-going playing. My plans for a weekly routine in 2017 are: one day off the horn and one day down in the deep cellar; other five days business as usual. Iīll report about any results of the weekly cellar day.
    Sterling Virtuoso / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha 642 II / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha YBH 831S / Giddings Kadja S
    Yamaha Flügelhorn 631GS / DW2FL