Thread: Bossey & Co. Class B baritone

Bossey & Co. Class B baritone

I've got the opportunity to buy this Boosey & Co. Class B baritone (I think) horn for €50,-.
    Judging by the serial number it is from 1921 and most likely High Pitch. I know this limits the use in modern ensemble playing, but I want to use it just for fun. (I was thinking since my brother owns an electric piano with adjustable pitch I could play it together with him....)

Seller says all valves move, though sluggish and all tubes are loose. As you can see in the pictures, it is quite battered, but nothing too critical I think. Also the finger button for the second valve does not look original since it's a lot smaller than the others.

However, I have heard of Boosey's "Class A" before but this is the first time I see a "Class B". Does anyone know if it is any good, or maybe something else I forgot to think about?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boosey1.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	4661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boosey2.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	4662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boosey3.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	4663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boosey4.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	4664

2. If I had to guess, Class B is probably the intermediate version of the old Class A. My Class A plays wonderfully, and was originally in high pitch too. The previous owner had tubes soldered onto the existing tuning slide receivers that lowered the pitch to 440. I don't know if it's worth the cost, but maybe that's a decision for after you get the horn. For 50 euros (~$52), you can't go wrong. I'd jump on it, if it turns out to be junk sell it.
    1905 Boosey Class A Euphonium-Wick SM4M
    Yamaha 301M Marching Baritone-Schilke 52
    1960 Conn 11J-Conn Helleberg
    1961 Conn 14J-Vincent DFL
    2015 King 2341-Bach Corp. 24AW
    Olds O95 Sousaphone-King 26