Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conn-Selmer Compensating Euphonium?

Conn-Selmer Compensating Euphonium?

Looking at Ebay I found the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-Selmer-...gAAOSwXeJXdj86

From the listing:

"Fantastic new model 300EHsp from Conn Selmer exclusive to Uk market the home of the Brass Band
    This is 4v compensating large bore euphonium with main slide tuning trigger and gold trim
    This is a new model from Conn Selmer available in the Uk"

Any know anything about these? Are they only for the UK?
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgeman View Post
    Looking at Ebay I found the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-Selmer-...gAAOSwXeJXdj86

From the listing:

"Fantastic new model 300EHsp from Conn Selmer exclusive to Uk market the home of the Brass Band
    This is 4v compensating large bore euphonium with main slide tuning trigger and gold trim
    This is a new model from Conn Selmer available in the Uk"

Any know anything about these? Are they only for the UK?
    It says made in China, and it looks a bit like a JinBao horn.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Yes. I figured it was from the price also. Is it really a Conn-Selmer or just someone using the name?
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Conn-Selmer is probably following the clone business model and having their name put on it. I'm pretty sure it is a Chinese clone, but beyond that I have no clue if they added any value, such as what Wessex does.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Yeah, I didn't blow the photos up and do a minute inspection, but that looks like a Jinbao that has just had the words "Conn-Selmer" scribed on the bell, about the same size and the "Jinbao" on my straight-from-the-factory bari. A true Conn-Selmer would have a little more artwork. I'm feeling a definite tug on my leg.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I messaged Conn-Selmer on Facebook and this is their reply:
    "Hi Rodger, it seems this is a UK exclusive instrument and at the moment we do not have any plans of releasing that in the states. Thank you!"

I am surprised it would not be in the US.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

I'm not surprised it is not for the USA (yet, anyway). We probably have many more people, as a percentage, who don't use compensating horns. In the UK there is the Besson mindset and I think more younger kids than here grew up playing a comp horn. The American brands have been cloning the Yamaha 321 for a lot of years now, and I suspect that works OK in our market.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I have just taken delivery of a Conn Selmer aEH300. I've been playing it for the last week - Christmas carol playing in Finland! I'm really pleased with it. It plays really well and seems to be excellent quality for the price. From my 'research' ( by which I mean studying very closely many photos on the Internet) I think it is the same instrument marketed as a Schiller Elite V. It anyone can confirm that, I'd be grateful.

I purchased mine via eBay, it was shipped by Clive from the UK to me in Helsinki in just a few days.

From a playing perspective, my former instrument was an old, 1st generation Sovereign. I honestly can't notice any difference in the playing - although I haven't had much opportunity to put it through its paces. Multiple renditions of Silent Night is probably not the most taxing test :-)

I'm new to this site and would appreciate some advice. What's the best way to get the tuning trigger slide working really smoothly? It's the first time I have owned a Euph with a trigger.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    For the tuning trigger slide, you might try some trombone slide cream. If you use regular tuning slide grease, it may be a little too tacky to make the trigger work easily. I, however, do actually use slide grease on my main tuning slide which has a trigger. It is a little stiff, but I use it so rarely that I find this acceptable. If you use it a lot, you would want something that moves better. Also, you may get a little moisture (dripping) from that slide since they are usually a little smaller in diameter than a regular, non-triggered slide, so that they move easier, so you might want something that "seals a little better". The trombone cream may do the trick.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

John, thanks for the advice. Best wishes.
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Chief Secretary
    The Salvation Army, Finland & Estonia
    Currently playing a Conn Selmer EH300
    Kelly 5G, Dennis Wick SM4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast