Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a tuba tomorrow

1. Buying a tuba tomorrow

Last year I decided to learn an instrument. I have a music degree in theory and composition and taught school choirs for many years before a long stint as a school administrator. Never learned an instrument until last year.

Last December I bought a King 2280 Euphonium and started practicing almost every day since. I've played some in community bands and a few solos in church. When I started, I used treble clef because I played French Horn in jr. hi and, so, knew those fingerings. I told myself to wait a year and then start playing in bass clef. The year is up.

Tomorrow I'm buying a tuba. I have a friend who is a tuba pro and long time school band director who has convinced me I will enjoy the tuba.

I'm fairly credible on easy bass clef music (hymns and Christmas carols), but have a hard time with anything harder. When I'm reading bass clef, I'm actually transposing the music in my head. Anything that is at all difficult throws me off entirely.

So, finally, a few questions. How best do I get out of the habit of transposing when I'm playing bass clef? I've got the Tuba Arban's ordered and suspect I just need to practice, practice practice, but other suggestions will be appreciated. Also, is there any technique to starting the Tuba and keeping my Euphonium embouchure? Finally, I enjoyed trying different mouthpieces on my Euphonium. I'm not sure what mouthpiece will be on the Tuba I'm buying. Any suggestions for a Tuba mouthpiece? I'm playing a 51D and a Wick 4ab on my Euphonium depending on the music I'm playing. I play the 51D most of the time because of the better tone I get. I play the Wick when I play something with a high tessitura.

Thanks, KKORO

RE: Bass Clef as a habit. Just keep doing it! Going through the Arban book is a good idea. I learned treble first, and still today that is the clef in my brain. But in late HS or early college I learned how to transpose a bass clef part in my head. At some point over the years it just became natural to read the music and I was no longer doing a transposition in my head. However, If I play a bass clef middle C (1st valve) I'm still thinking D in my head. But functionally I am a competent bass clef reader. I really don't care if you hand me a part in bass or treble for most things. For really tough solos I'll reach for the treble clef part because it's my "first language."
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I too read TC and struggle with BC. Don't know if this would help or not, but Dr. Gail Robertson suggested for me to get a BC copy of a solo I had memorized and read from the BC part. It helped some, but I think I'm getting to the point often referred to as,"too old to learn new tricks".

Good luck.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. Mouthpieces I should try?

KKORO

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER
    Most beginners start with a Helleberg 120s, it's a pretty standard mouthpiece to try first. Coming from euph, you might like the Helleberg 7B a bit better. The Perantucci PT-44 is also a popular mouthpiece.
    Yamaha 642s Neo

I started playing tuba in 1989. I'm totally self-taught. Previously (elementary school through college) I played saxophone and doubled on flute. Stopped playing in graduate school. I went up to the tuba exchange and bought a used Yamaha YEB-321s from Vince. Just sat down and started playing it. No problems, but it of course required some determination and practice. I love low brass.

In terms of converting to BC (which I had NEVER read before getting my tuba) from TC (which I had spent over 15 years on), my suggestion is this: just do it. STOP transposing! Just play. Perhaps the best way to do this is start to do simple exercises (and scales and arppegios and etudes) AT SPEED. Start slow and work up to a higher speed. The higher speed will force you to stop transposing. You want to get your thinking out of the way of your playing. It's that simple.

Mouthpiece: Without knowing anything about your playing or your physical characteristics, I'd recommend that you get a Bach 25 or Kelly 25 mouthpiece and play on that for several months. Do NOT get a Bach 24 or 24AW. Do NOT get a Bach 18. Otherwise, a Schilke 66 might do you very well (it's my all-time go-to mouthpiece except on my Eb compensator) or a TU-17. The Kelly is really a good compromise approach in a "trial" mode. Or try to get a used Bach 25 or Schilke 66 online.

After a few months, you'll begin to have SOME idea of what the advantages/disadvantages/limitations of that mouthpiece are. But the Bach 25 it's a good all-around mouthpiece, is a good size for someone moving from trombone/baritone to tuba, and is a great beginner's mouthpiece as well. If you get the Kelly, then (a) it will be cheap, and (b) you'll always be able to use it for cold or very hot weather performances.

After those few months, get together with your tuba-playing friend and talk about mouthpieces. Warning: Many, many tuba players use a mouthpiece that is simply too big for them. Beware of that. Bigger is not at all necessarily better when it comes to tuba mouthpieces.
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 12-18-2016 at 03:38 PM.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I would take the advice of your friend on a mouthpiece if he is a tuba player. Depending upon the type of tuba you buy you may have to experiment to get the right mouthpiece. Bowl shape vs funnel shape can make a difference in sound, response and intonation so try as many as you can. Hopefully you can get a teacher to guide you. Best wishes!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

8. I too started reading treble clef (former trumpet player), but then switched to bass clef shortly before attending college as a euphonium major. Only advice is to try and avoid treble clef music as much as possible and force yourself to read bass clef.

And be patient! I was able to read bass clef fairly comfortably after maybe 6 months, but it honestly probably took me a full 2 years before I was completely fluent in it. I would always struggle in my scale juries because I would always mix up the transpositions in my head.

It even messed me up in my piano playing! I remember sitting in my jury for my piano minor and being asked to play a 2 octave Ab scale. So I play it, thinking it went very well, but when I look back at my professor, she has a very confused look on her face. She then says "That was a great Gb scale....But I would still like to hear an Ab scale." It took me a few seconds to realize what she meant, and what I had actually done. Luckily, I still passed my jury

Quote Originally Posted by KKORO View Post
    [snip] I have a music degree in theory and composition and taught school choirs for many years before a long stint as a school administrator. [snip]

I'm fairly credible on easy bass clef music (hymns and Christmas carols), but have a hard time with anything harder. When I'm reading bass clef, I'm actually transposing the music in my head. Anything that is at all difficult throws me off entirely.

So, finally, a few questions. How best do I get out of the habit of transposing when I'm playing bass clef? [snip]
    When you were studying theory and composition, did you do much work with alto and tenor clefs? I, too, started on trumpet, and I read only treble clef until fifth or sixth grade. Tenor clef and Bb-transposing treble clef match up spaces and lines, as I'm sure you know (you just have to keep track of accidentals, like B-natural or E-natural). The nifty thing about learning the clefs is that then you can sight-transpose from Bb parts, Eb parts, F parts, and concert parts.

I wish you luck with this - I learned the clefs over half a century ago, and I've really forgotten how difficult it was.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

10. I added tuba/sousaphone to trumpet as a freshman in high school for marching band in the fall of 1976. Having had piano for a few years, I knew bass clef, so all I really had to do was add the fingerings to the notes.

I found no "easy" or "shortcut" to learning bass clef fingerings. I just did it with lots of practice and sight reading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast