Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now Vented Valves on the Wessex Dolce Euphonium!

1. Of course not. Just checked one sample valve of batch

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    Of course not. Just checked one sample valve of batch
    I'm confused about who's checking what, and for what purpose. Just trying to get a sensible scenario here. Wessex checks one sample valve of the batch in order to ensure that the valves are Monel (as ordered)? Or the manufacturer checks one sample valve of the batch in order to be sure the valves are Monel -- as the manufacturer intended? And "batch" here means ...? Entire batch being delivered to a single customer? Set of valves on a single instrument in a single production run? An entire production run for (potentially) a number of customers? or ...? Sorry to seem picky, but I'm just really curious about this procedure -- in part because the "Just checked one ..." doesn't conform to any standard quality assurance protocol known to me (which use random samples of one sort or another, with the sample size being generally larger than "one").
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Very interesting and informative comments from some VERY experienced people concerning the issues involved in nickel plated brass, Monel, stainless, etc.: http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic....af8002e530e23d.

Consensus appears to be that nickel plated brass with good quality control is the best choice.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

4. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I'm confused about who's checking what, and for what purpose. Just trying to get a sensible scenario here. Wessex checks one sample valve of the batch in order to ensure that the valves are Monel (as ordered)? Or the manufacturer checks one sample valve of the batch in order to be sure the valves are Monel -- as the manufacturer intended? And "batch" here means ...? Entire batch being delivered to a single customer? Set of valves on a single instrument in a single production run? An entire production run for (potentially) a number of customers? or ...? Sorry to seem picky, but I'm just really curious about this procedure -- in part because the "Just checked one ..." doesn't conform to any standard quality assurance protocol known to me (which use random samples of one sort or another, with the sample size being generally larger than "one").
    Usually batch of metal is checked for quality as it comes into factory (everything including valves is made in-house). This time we checked just one valve to clarify metal composition - but that is not the rule.

Wessex is checking the finished instruments, and not the metal composition unless we suspect it is not as specified - which we do not. As Wessex is the factory's largest tuba/euphonium customer we have very close relationship. I converse almost daily with the production manager on new developments and any problems that may arise.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 12-26-2016 at 04:35 AM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123