Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now Vented Valves on the Wessex Dolce Euphonium!

Interesting (monel vs. ss). I have played both and did not notice a difference in speed of the valves. And I found that I can make either one stick!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by iiipopes View Post
    Add to that some companies have used nickel plated valves to great success, notably Getzen.

I think the phrase to sum it up is, "Horses for courses."
    My son's Getzen Renaissance trumpet had nickel plated valves and his trumpet teacher said that they were the best valves he had ever tried-- better than the Monel valves on his Bach Strad.

I guess this just demonstrates that there are various opinions on this issue.

3. Are these available now? I'm considering upgrading to a compensating horn some time soon.

4. We have a few silver-plated Dolce with these upgrades in UK store now. The first vented valve Dolce will be arriving in US store February.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post
    My son's Getzen Renaissance trumpet had nickel plated valves and his trumpet teacher said that they were the best valves he had ever tried-- better than the Monel valves on his Bach Strad.
    I also own a Getzen Renaissance I purchased in 2001. After 15 years of every day playing, the nickel plated valves show almost no signs of wear and are slippery to the touch, even when dry. They're also the smoothest, tightest, and fastest valves I've ever had on an instrument. I have never actually had one stick on me. Even when bone dry, all they do is slow down a little.

With my body chemistry, every instrument I've had that has Monel valves will stick without frequent (a.k.a. every time it's played) oiling. Everything from the very fine Monel valves in the Kanstul euphonium to the cheap monel in my C trumpet (a Jupiter) behaves exactly the same. When I was trumpet shopping 15 years ago, I couldn't find a Bach Strad that didn't lock up on me. Put simply, I only buy a horn with Monel if there is no other option.

Here's an article from Brett Getzen on why they use nickel-plated nickel: http://www.getzen.com/gazette/2006/0...ttle-rages-on/ From my experience, I'm fully in the Getzen camp on this issue.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

I think this is a matter of quality rather than simply monel vs. stainless. The composition of the alloy (e.g., the percentage of each metal in it) in either case can make a significant difference in the properties of the result. These include such features as corrosion resistance, resistance to wear, ease of machining, and (in the case of stainless steel) galling. I suspect that galling is responsible for the "sticking" in the case of stainless pistons -- possibly enhanced in cases where insufficient lubrication is used, perhaps because people feel it's not so important with stainless (a mistake). Also, the specific alloy of stainless will affect this property. But I don't know if this has been investigated in the area of pistons for brass instruments.

This also makes me wonder whether different types of oil (synthetic? petroleum? additives?) are more effective with the different alloys.

As anyone who has bought inexpensive stainless steel kitchenware in the past ten years or so knows, some pretty weird stainless alloys have been showing up from China lately.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

7. At the factory they now have a wonderful gadget (looks similar to bar code scanner) which can scan the metal and give a readout of the exact components contained. They use this to confirm the quality of the metal being used. It was through scanning the euphonium valves that we confirmed they are Monel.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 12-17-2016 at 08:35 AM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    We have a few silver-plated Dolce with these upgrades in UK store now. The first vented valve Dolce will be arriving in US store February.
    So if I just ordered a lacquer version of the Dolce a few days ago and it is coming from the UK store, it won't have these upgrades?

9. I can't really say, as we had stock from two batches. You should receive soon to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    At the factory they now have a wonderful gadget (looks similar to bar code scanner) which can scan the metal and give a readout of the exact components contained. They use this to confirm the quality of the metal being used. It was through scanning the euphonium valves that we confirmed they are Monel.
    Yes, every coin shop has one of these to determine in a non-invasive way what material/alloy a coin is made of. It's very slick and impressive technology.

But when you say "we confirmed they are Monel", do you mean that you do this to every piston prior to accepting delivery of the instrument? This seems an excessive degree of quality control on the part of the buyer unless the manufacturer isn't trusted.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast