Thread: Where I started from and where I am at now!

1. Cool Where I started from and where I am at now!

This is sortof a introduction, we seem not to have a lot of general discussion boards if any where it is based on-topic but is sort-of free for all, or something close to an introduction center or board.

Here we go, not the best at this:

I started in 5th grade when my middle school band director came over for recruiting. Allowing us to play the instruments and allowing us to get interested. I digressed. I started in the 6th grade band as a Trumpet. All throughout middle school I either A. Didn't care (6th grade), B. Got in too much trouble (7th grade), C. Had no idea what I was doing/didn't care (8th grade). When I was in 8th grade after hearing professional trumpeter, Maurice Andre playing I got inspired to make music to make art and to get high out of playing music (there was a study, it found that the brain can get high when people not only play the song but feel it). I didn't know the fingerings, I didn't know the rythems, I didn't know a single darn thing but Shhh when I played out sometimes or the louder when I was alone.

When I started trying in 8th grade... I knew it, my friends knew it and the director knew it. I was SOOOOO behind ~3 years... I got so inspired from the song that I pledged from that day forward I would not only practice everyday however, I would experience the music I would give myself to music. I guaranteed myself a must practice for 1 hour everyday at the far least.. I didn't just get a Bb scale out however, after asking countless times during rests "Pssst, hey what's this fingering? " " It's 1 because it's concert Eb or B for us" Which made me from nothing to a beginner in just 2 weeks (which was all the time that was left in the school year).

High School:

My first opportunity arises when we get to Band Camp, Which was our Marching band beginning season. We used to be competitive won countless high ranking trophies. We had to discontinue in 2010 due to funding. We went through marching band and I well died...... not really, but what I mean is we like drilled it so much I can still a year later retain just about every single note from memory.

I continued my practice everyday, after school 1 hour always.. The only time I wouldn't practice is when my throat was sore or if I had migraines. I went from the 16th chair from the 8th chair in a span of less than 2 months.

The events leading to today was made in an opportunity which I was hesitant to take in my freshmen year, (I'm talking as if I graduated, Sorry. I am only a mere sophomore) I took it however. It was the best decision I have made in my life. We had but 1 euphonium in Symphonic band and we had music that basicly featured euphonium for assessment which we've attended for decades. The director kept asking all 16 trumpets in the symphonic band "I need some euphoniums [baritones]" "If your interested see me after class". I waited 2 weeks then I switched.

I didn't sound good at first I struggled for some time barely able to get a note out. But after something similar to a 1 week boot camp I got enough power out to play the euphonium. I sounded decent. Not great. Until..... I had a breakthrough. I finally seen music, musically. My eyes opened up when I had the soloist part to the Shenandoah song by Frank Ticheli. My tone became decent. Decent enough to make all-state if it wasn't already earlier in the year. This year is different. I've became so great in not even a year (january 22nd will be my first official year on euphonium). I found myself in a position where I could potentially go professional with euphonium. I'm working on 1930 Cafe soloist /w piano accompanist. My tone quality if I judged it right now is close to a .001th of a difference from Anthony Caillet I sound very very close. The only issues I have right now is Rythem still and high note/low note playing (low note playing in good tone). Which I am working on.

If I had to summarize this.. I learned a few things

Your teeth and mouth structure (lip structure) defines whether or not you're good on trumpet or good on euphonium or better on tuba.
    You can achieve anything if you believe in doing whatever it takes.
    You can feel the motions

POST EDIT: I thought I posted this in the misc but I posted it in the music. SORRY for that.If you'd like you may move the topic at your disclosure
    Last edited by KentuckyEuphonium; 12-16-2016 at 01:12 AM.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for sharing your story (so far). It's a good example of how goals and hard work can help you make real progress.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Nice story, and welcome to the forum.

Piazzolla's "Café 1930" is a gorgeous piece and Anthony Cailett plays it beautifully. He's a good one to emulate. Good luck with your music.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)