Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True Story - But also a Good Joke

1. Quote Originally Posted by iiipopes View Post
    A black hand towel on the floor between your feet? Works for me.
    I have a folded up bath-sized towel on my lap. It holds the horn up at the proper level for posture and I also use it to catch the water.

2. Maybe I wasn't clear, I agree that patrons should be given strong consideration when they make a suggestion, even if you don't agree. I also agree that it can look a bit strange from the audience's perspective, however as someone who's done it all too many times themselves, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I was simply reacting to Daniel's comment about it being "nasty" to dump it on the floor. I take no issue with it but I guess if it bothers you use a small towel or if you're leading a group, ask brass players to bring a small towel.
    1905 Boosey Class A Euphonium-Wick SM4M
    Yamaha 301M Marching Baritone-Schilke 52
    1960 Conn 11J-Conn Helleberg
    1961 Conn 14J-Vincent DFL
    2015 King 2341-Bach Corp. 24AW
    Olds O95 Sousaphone-King 26

I ALWAYS have a small (dish? hand?) towel with me in my equipment bag. I get them in places like Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Dollar Whatever, ... Some sort of terrycloth works best in terms of absorbing the drainage. Neutral colors (or black) work best in terms of not being noticed. I'm not swayed by that portion of the population which is so concerned about the hygenic issues. First, these are unavoidable. Second, what comes out of the instrument is (as others have pointed out) CONDENSATE -- i.e., condensed water vapor. I think that all the aversion and distaste that many (non-players, woodwind players, et al.) have comes largely from the historical mis-description of "spit valves".

If you're practicing in a school band room (as does one band I'm in), it really doesn't matter to anyone. If you practice on an auditorium stage (as in another band), then you have to realize that SOMEONE has to clean up whatever you dump on the stage surface. Regular cleanup crews are not enthusiastic about cleaning up what they (mistakenly or otherwise) regard as "spit". Maintaining good relations with one's hosts requires at least a modicum of consideration. It's really that simple.

As far as horns go, people should realize that there are consequences to not spinning and dumping. It's hard to beat the laws of physics. However, there is a range of technique involved in this that goes from "subdued or moderate" to "outrageous and ostentatious". In general, one should not perform an Olympic class horn spin in the context of a performance.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12