Thread: Mouthpiece

Mouthpiece

Have inherited a B and G EE flat bass. What is the recommended mouthpiece for this instrument ? Thinking of Vincent Bach?

Sorry B and H bass

Welcome to the forum!

I'm hoping one of our tuba folks will help out here, but I think the first thing to find out is which shank it uses. If I remember correctly, some of these had a smaller-than-normal receiver.

I have a Besson Sovereign EEb from about 1983. My first mouthpiece was a Wick 3, but then I changed to a Schilke 67 because I liked the sound better.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks Dave.
    Firstly I must apologise for not pointing out it is an Imperial! Silly.

How do I identify the size/properties of the shank or receiver. Would the instrument serial number be of any use?
    Regards
    Mervyn

5. The serial number would certainly be helpful in this case, but I'm guessing it is a standard shank (not many Imperials were made with a small shank if I remember correctly). Ultimately, you should try several mouthpieces to find out which works the best, but if you're set on a Bach for whatever reason, a 25, 30, or 32 would probably be best. I'd look at Denis Wick however, as they make several mouthpieces geared specifically toward Eb tubas, whereas Bachs are kind of "all-around" mouthpieces. If for some reason it does turn out to be a smaller shank (easily tested by trying to insert a standard shank and finding it to not insert very far), I would try a bass trombone mouthpiece, possibly with a turn or two of teflon, plumber's, or duct tape around the shank to make it fit tighter. A few generic options there are: Bach 1-1/2G or 1G, Schilke 59 or 60, Denis Wick 0AL or 00AL, or Yamaha 58, 59, 60, or Doug Yeo.
    1905 Boosey Class A Euphonium-Wick SM4M
    Yamaha 301M Marching Baritone-Schilke 52
    1960 Conn 11J-Conn Helleberg
    1961 Conn 14J-Vincent DFL
    2015 King 2341-Bach Corp. 24AW
    Olds O95 Sousaphone-King 26

Comprehensive response thanks. I like my Wick 3L in my Sovereign but it won't insert at all into the Imperial. Will try Wick thanks
    M

I did not have good results with a bass trombone (or contra bass trombone) mouthpiece on my 1924 Buescher. You may find that something along the lines of a Bach 25 works well. I now use a Miraphone TU-17 in mine (similar in size to the Bach 25), but with a Dillon shank adapter that's no longer available.

If it is the European small tuba shank, a cheap and pretty good way out is to get a Kelly 25 and sand down the shank to fit. Otherwise, possibilities are severely limited. The best I used was a Wick 5 (not 5L). But the TU-17/Bach 25 is better. If it's the small shank, the Wick 'L' mouthpieces won't insert well into it.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Had a great chat with a dealer in England and decided the surest way to go was the Wick Classic 3 mouthpiece which will definitely fit an Imperial. Thanks for help

9. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    If it is the European small tuba shank, a cheap and pretty good way out is to get a Kelly 25 and sand down the shank to fit. Otherwise, possibilities are severely limited.
    As long as you're doing that, you can take any standard tuba mouthpiece to your tech with the horn and them lathe it to fit your horn. Lots of people do that for euro shank euphoniums when they don't have a fortune to spend on mouthpieces.
    1905 Boosey Class A Euphonium-Wick SM4M
    Yamaha 301M Marching Baritone-Schilke 52
    1960 Conn 11J-Conn Helleberg
    1961 Conn 14J-Vincent DFL
    2015 King 2341-Bach Corp. 24AW
    Olds O95 Sousaphone-King 26