• Willson TA1

0 0%
  • Schilke 51

0 0%
  • Dennis Wick SM3U

0 0%

Thread: Willson TA1 VS Schilke 51 VS Dennis Wick SM3U

1. Willson TA1 VS Schilke 51 VS Dennis Wick SM3U

Hi, sorry for two posts in one day, I am looking for a mouthpiece for my Besson New Standard euphonium. These 3 mouthpieces have different prices, and I was wondering which one would be the best for me. I would like something that would be good for the high and low ranges of the instrument. I would like to eventually reach the sound of David Werden and Steven Mead.
    I have come from a large shank Getzen 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece, and have been playing for 5 years now. I am currently in high school.
    I don't mind the price differences as long as it gets me what I need.

Willson TA1
    Schilke 51
    Dennis Wick SM3U
    Last edited by Russell_B; 11-22-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Knowing nothing about your physiology, experience level, playing style, etc. it's impossible for us to say.
    --
    Barry

3. Hi,
    I added my previous mouthpiece, that I currently have 5 years of experience, and that I am in high school.
    Is there anything I should add?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Russell_B; 11-22-2016 at 09:39 PM.

I'm unfamiliar with the Willson TA1, but there is a huge difference between the Schilke 51 and the SM3U, just in rim diameter. This is kind of like asking for a comparison between a sports car and a heavy-duty truck. A lot depends on the physical structure of your face, and you're going to get the best guidance from a knowledgeable teacher.

If you want to go it alone though, Mouthpiece Express (and other companies too) have a trial policy that allows you to order several mouthpieces. You pay for all of them up front, try them out for a few days, and keep the one(s) you like. Once the others are returned, you get refunded for the ones you send back, minus a minimal processing fee.

The Schilke 51 is a modest step up on size from the 6 1/2AL, and might be a good place to start. A lot of players prefer the 51D, which is ever so slightly narrower in diameter than the regular 51, but with a much deeper cup. If you want to stay in the same ball park size-wise, a SM5U is also comparable.

Also, as a final word of guidance... almost every new mouthpiece you try will initially be fantastic. You'll play higher, louder, softer, lower, etc. than you ever have before. This is a honeymoon period, where your face is responding in different ways to new stimulus. The honeymoon period wears off, and you find all your same challenges again, or develop new ones. Don't be disappointed by this, rather be encouraged, because if you could sound great once on that mouthpiece, you can do it again. It just takes focus and perseverance, and is where the guidance of a good teacher is particularly helpful.
    Last edited by howrdhodge; 11-23-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Just the other day I did a comparison of a Wick 4AM (medium shank version of the 4AL) vs. a Schilke 51D on my Besson New Standard. I always use a listener(s) when I do this. My wife (who was among those preferring the Wick 4AL on my Adams) said that the Schilke 51D was the better match for the New Standard. I actually have a Schilke 51 (without the "D") that I use for trombone, but I think the 51D is a better match for euphonium. I agree with those who suspect that the Mead SM3U would feel way too large when moving from a 6 1/2. Of course, these are my experiences and yours may be different.
    Last edited by enhite; 11-23-2016 at 03:45 PM.

If one was coming from a 6 1/2AL and wanted to switch to a Denis Wick, something in the 5 or 4 size would likely be a better fit. That being said, there's really no way to know which mouthpiece will work for you until you try one.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

7. Thank you very much for the input, I will try out the 51D!

8. OK, thank you very much. I am very glad you could help me with this.

I went from a Besson 5 to a Schilke 51D. Tried a Wick 4AL afterwards, but that mouthpiece is/was just too big in all aspects for me, so I went for the Wick 5AL. For me the (almost) perfect mouthpiece. It has a slightly smaller rim than the 4AL and a bore that's 0,08 mm smaller than that of the 4AL - which is perfect for me. in my opinion, a 5AL is a good step up from a 51D since the rim diameter, cup depth, cup shape and bore are all inbetween the 51D and 4AL, but slightly more to the 4AL, making it easier to get onto that later if you want.

The Schilke 51D is, in my opinion, one of the better mouthpieces to learn how to handle deep cups, because it still has a 7,03mm bore. So yes, it's really deep, but you won't be troubled by an enormous bore size like that of the Wick 4AL. It's a really good step-up or even main mouthpiece if you like the sound and feel, and you don't 'grow' out of it.