Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Note bending exercise routine

1. Note bending exercise routine

I have through my teacher been doing lip bending exercisers do any of you guys use them and over what range.

My section mate in the Coast Guard Band had gone to Ohio State. While there his teacher had him go through an entire semester with his tuning slide pushed all the way in, but of course he was still required to play in tune! It helped him develop a very full sound.

I have practiced playing simply tunes like Blue Bells of Scotland. I use the standard fingers (key of Eb concert) but tried to play it a half step lower.

Because I play a lot of jazz/pop songs (check my videos on YouTube) I often do down-and-back bends, so that has also given me more flexibility.

There are some examples to help start the conversation. None of my own teachers had me working on this particular skill.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Some of David Vining's "Daily Routines" have note-bending exercises. Some days I can get a good half-step; other days -- not so much
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

4. Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    Some of David Vining's "Daily Routines" have note-bending exercises. Some days I can get a good half-step; other days -- not so much
    Thanks for the Information. I have tried to get the treble clef version from Amazon but they will not ship to the UK. What is the range of notes they use

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Thanks for the Information. I have tried to get the treble clef version from Amazon but they will not ship to the UK. What is the range of notes they use
    Mid-range all the way down to the pedals.
    David Bjornstad

6. One of my sectionmates can play D middle of the staff to G or Gb bottom of the staff in first position on trombone...but it's entirely worthless to be able to do it to that extreme. No more than a whole step is ever going to be necessary for a scoop or the like.
    1905 Boosey Class A Euphonium-Wick SM4M
    Yamaha 301M Marching Baritone-Schilke 52
    1960 Conn 11J-Conn Helleberg
    1961 Conn 14J-Vincent DFL
    2015 King 2341-Bach Corp. 24AW
    Olds O95 Sousaphone-King 26

I'm no expert, but I've noticed that the ability to bend notes can depend on the horn you're playing. It was really hard for me to bend notes on my Yamaha 641, but much easier on my Miraphone 5050. Not sure what design aspects contribute to that though...
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by LargoBone View Post
    One of my sectionmates can play D middle of the staff to G or Gb bottom of the staff in first position on trombone...but it's entirely worthless to be able to do it to that extreme. No more than a whole step is ever going to be necessary for a scoop or the like.
    That reminds me of something I saw Zamfir (the pan-flute guy) do. He was in an interview, and he demonstrated a major scale going up and down the pipes. Then he played a whole ascending scale on just the pipe for the first (lowest) note. I was impressed.
    David Bjornstad

9. Quote Originally Posted by LargoBone View Post
    One of my sectionmates can play D middle of the staff to G or Gb bottom of the staff in first position on trombone...but it's entirely worthless to be able to do it to that extreme. No more than a whole step is ever going to be necessary for a scoop or the like.
    It has nothing to do with scoop. It has everything to do with embouchure conditioning so that a player is more precise in locking pitch in. We are euph players, not trombone players. Except for the jazz inflections for the occasional transcribed ragtime, trad jazz, or big band piece in concert or brass band, we really don't have that much repertoire that requires scoops.

10. Quote Originally Posted by iiipopes View Post
    It has nothing to do with scoop. It has everything to do with embouchure conditioning so that a player is more precise in locking pitch in. We are euph players, not trombone players. Except for the jazz inflections for the occasional transcribed ragtime, trad jazz, or big band piece in concert or brass band, we really don't have that much repertoire that requires scoops.
    Scoop. a utensil resembling a spoon, with a short handle and a deep bowl, used for removing dry or semi-solid substances from a container. ??????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast