Thread: Schiller Elite vs Schiller Elite IV vs Schiller Elite V

1. Schiller Elite vs Schiller Elite IV vs Schiller Elite V

Hi,
    I'm looking for a second horn to buy and recently stumbled upon the brand Schiller. From some research I found that they are made in the same factory as JinBao. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Schiller Elite, Schiller Elite IV, and Schiller Elite V? Also, is the price difference worth it?
    Thanks!

2. They each have different bell and bore configurations. Maybe some other differences. This will affect sound of course as well as response.

3. I'm not sure of the difference between the Elite and Elite IV but the normal Elite is a clone of the Yamaha 642 and the standard stencil model. The Elite V (I believe, not 100%) is a clone of the Besson Prestige 2051 and might be the only branded clone of that particular horn.
    Feel free to correct ne if I'm wrong as most of what I said is word of mouth.

There is an ad on eBay right now for the Elite IV:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schiller-Cus...-/262729321203

According to this listing, the main bore is .571" - that doesn't match Besson Sovereign/Prestige or the Yamaha 642/etc. horns, so I'm not sure what to think. If that number is accurate, the bore is closer to a Yamaha 321, but of course the Elite is obviously compensating. Weird. Of course, numbers are often messed up by marketing departments!
    Last edited by davewerden; 11-22-2016 at 06:27 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Maybe the Elite IV is completely different as well. Interesting. I wonder if anyone else has any further knowledge on these horns?

OK, I'm starting to catch on, but there is still much to be confused about. The Elite IV and Custom Shop Elite IV are totally different horns! Normally that kind of designation is used to indicate an "upgrade" model, such as one with a trigger. Anyway, this seems to be the best source of information on the specs of the various models:

http://www.schillerinstruments.com/c...iums-baritones
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. I did notice the Custom Shop being different but it seems that even the normal IV is different from the standard Elite.
    This is super interesting, I may do some research if I have the time. It would be very useful for anyone in the budget market.

8. I believe that the elite V has the bore and bell of the yamaha 642. I thought custom shop was just yo indicqte the silver and gold trim