X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erbarnes25
    • Oct 2016

Yep 321 lsco guards

I have a yep 321 euphonium and I wanted to buy some nice leather guards for it, but no pictures are shown on the lsco website. Does anyone have these guards on their euphonium? I was wondering how well they fit and how practical they were. There may already be a thread created for the 321 guards, but I didn't see one. Any help would be wonderful! I am open to trying other brands of guards, but I didn't see any other place that had nice ones.
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

LSCO guards are excellent and I've used them on both my YEP-641 and my M5050. Don't know any detail about the guards for the 321, but since that horn has been out for quite some time, I'd guess that they're pretty accurate.

I had some custom made for my 641 since they didn't have exactly what I needed. See this link as it might help:

Leather Guards

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• LargoBone
      • Jun 2016

I have Leather Specialties guards on my trombone, very well made and highly recommended. Don't worry about pictures, if they say Yamaha 321, they'll fit but if not, they exchange them for the right fit no charge I believe. They're very careful about their measurements and everything is exactly to spec horn by horn.
      1905 Boosey Class A Euphonium-Wick SM4M
      Yamaha 301M Marching Baritone-Schilke 52
      1960 Conn 11J-Conn Helleberg
      1961 Conn 14J-Vincent DFL
      2015 King 2341-Bach Corp. 24AW
      Olds O95 Sousaphone-King 26

Comment

• Low Brass Chap
        • Jun 2015

I actually happen to have a YEP-321 with leather guards from LSCO. I mainly use the instrument when my compensating horn is at school or I am teaching a student who is new to the instrument or is smaller and may not be comfortable with the airflow required to fill a large-bore horn. The leather guards fit nicely and they go on the handle of the instrument, the first valve where your thumb touches, the third valve tuning slide where your palm touches it, and where your fingers wrap around the far side of the instrument (where the fourth valve normally is on a compensating instrument). They fit very nicely and are very durable as I have had them for almost three years on the horn and doubt I will need to replace them anytime soon, if ever. The only flaw in their design is that for people with smaller hands, reaching all the way around the instrument might not be very practical, so the guard where you normally reach for a compensating fourth valve isn't very useful. If you do hold it from where the 4th valve on the side normally is, however, all the guards on the instrument are very well fitted and very useful for preventing acid from your hands from getting on the finish. I may be able to post pictures later today if you want to see them on the horn, if you are willing to wait.
        Thomann EP 902SL Superior Euphonium

Eastman Shires ETB432G Trombone

Comment

• erbarnes25
          • Oct 2016

Thank you so much! I would love to see pictures when you get a chance. My family was wanting to know Christmas gift ideas, but they weren't exactly sure if they wanted to entertain the idea since they didn't have a picture.

Comment

• Low Brass Chap
            • Jun 2015

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_210824.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	116964 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_210851.jpg
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	116965 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_210900.jpg
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	116966 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_210912.jpg
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	116967 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_210917.jpg
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	116968 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_210928.jpg
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	116969 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_210954.jpg
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	116970Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_211100.jpg
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	116971

Took these pictures in a bit of a hurry, but I tried to show how they go with your hand and how they fit the instrument. This particular 321 was made a decade or two ago, but the overall design of the instrument hasn't changed much and the ones made by LSCO are tailored to the horns made today anyways. Those particular guards are a year or two old and still look brand new. They are very comfortable to use and fit snugly but not tightly on the instrument and don't move around when you hold it. I've had great experiences with LSCO and would recommend them to anyone looking for instrument guards.
            Thomann EP 902SL Superior Euphonium

Eastman Shires ETB432G Trombone

Comment

Working...
            X