Thread: move their mind

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

move their mind

I would like to start working on Move Their Mind (far above my level - just for fun!), a fabulous piece of music composed by Stan Nieuwenhuis. It is played in particular by Glenn Van Looy and David Thornton (You Tube)

The euphonium part can be dowloaded in his website (free downloading): https://www.stannieuwenhuis.be/works...onium-soloist/

I have a question on high G: I can play a relatively safe high F, but I simply can't play a high G (bars 194, 202-204).

Do you have some tips to achieve it? I currently play a SM 3.5 on a Prestige 2051 (UK).

Thanks.

That is one heck of a piece!!

I suggest you look at this thread. It may help get you the range you want:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...and-High-Range

The driver of a solid high range is air. You can build muscle to buzz a high G, but with proper air behind it, the thing will really ring! The goal is to get your G to be "slotted" in place, so if you push a little higher or lower, it jumps to the next note up or down. If it merely slides between notes, then you don't quite have the air right. If you are sliding you are not really getting the horn to resonate the high notes; the horn is just being a megaphone for your chops.

When I have my top register in good shape (not very often these days), I can get that slotting to work up to about a Bb above the G. Going above that I no longer have much slotting.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you Dave for the advice and the "Matteson technic". In my daily routine, I do chromatic scales (arban - chromatic scales - #9). The highest note is high C (crescendo/diminuendo). I should maybe try to go progressively up to high G that way.

I find that the high G slots better using 4th valve. It's strange, but it works for me. I also find the E works well with a 1-2-3 combination. I still do my homework to practice in the high range, but find these alternate fingerings helpful.

Robert Pendergast, DM

I just realized I was thinking in C, not B-flat treble clef, sorry.

Robert Pendergast, DM