Thread: FS: Hirsbrunner HBS 378 Euphonium

1. FS: Hirsbrunner HBS 378 Euphonium

After much consideration I have decided to part with my wonderful Hirsbrunner euphonium. I have made a career change and do not have a need for the instrument at this time. Here is the pertinent information:

Hirsbrunner HBS 378
    Serial Number: 078355 (built in 1978)
    Bore size: .630 (o.d.) bore; 4th valve - 668 (o.d.)
    Bell Diameter: 305mm - 11 1/2"
    Height: 660mm
    Large Shank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	4459

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...VNLTmgtcWJPWW8

The instrument in in great condition considering it’s age. The instrument was recently ultrasonically cleaned by Carl’s Pro Band. Comes with a hard shell case. Price is $4900 OBO. Horn is located in Normal, Illinois and buyer pays shipping expenses. I will not ship the horn out for trials, but will gladly drive a few hours to facilitate a play test.
    Last edited by RickF; 10-27-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking horn.

I edited your post to remove the green check icon - which means it's sold. Good luck with the sale.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I have the same horn, except this one looks much better while it is 5 years older.

I did notice one thing: your top valve caps don´t seem to have felt inlays, like mine does. Is this a custom modification, or did you just forget to put them back after the ultrasonic cleaning...?

Quote Originally Posted by MarChant View Post
    I did notice one thing: your top valve caps don´t seem to have felt inlays, like mine does. Is this a custom modification, or did you just forget to put them back after the ultrasonic cleaning...?
    In my experience the groove for these inlays was pretty shallow, and they came out easily. Several of the displays models and some of the horns they shipped me to evaluate had the felts out of the groove. I always figured if I owned one I would use a little rubber cement or something to keep the inlays in place.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Nice horn! Good luck with the sale.

sidenote.....I always find it interesting to look these horns over for the minor changes that were made over the years. I've had two of them.....my first was built in the early 90s and my current horn was made in 2001. My current horn has finger buttons similar to this horn listed for sale, while my old horn had larger buttons with concave inserts. Another thing I always notice is the brace between the two tubes of the third valve slide.....my old horn had a straight piece like this horn that is listed for sale, while my current one has a "u" shaped brace....but I've also seen much older hirsbrunners with "u" shaped braces. I assume the sources for the components changed over the years and that would account for the differences.

6. My horn had mother of pearl in lays, not felt. They are worn in from playing, but still in good shape.

I'm speaking of the large-diameter felt "washers" that fit into a recess in the top cap of the valve casing (not the finger button). They are shown (in white) in this photo of my horn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	4460
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

8. Oh, I see what you're talking about. When I purchased this horn it did not have those felts, but I'm sure the horn did have them at some point.

9. Thank you!

Indeed, I also meant the felt washers Dave is talking about. As far as I know, their presence or absence does affect the function of the valves, so it could be worth checking that out.