Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airplane Travel Cases

Quote Originally Posted by Asianeuph View Post
    I've had a friend who gate checked with a Marcus Bonna case and his bell did not make it, even with the Denis Wick travel mute in the bell.
    FWIW, in order for a travel mute to offer any extra protection, it needs to protrude from the bell by an inch or more. The Wick does not, as far as I know.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Does anyone have any experience of the skb case? I'm wondering if it would take a euph in a Cronkite bag so you could just use the hard case for transit in trucks/planes?

Quote Originally Posted by booboo View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of the skb case? I'm wondering if it would take a euph in a Cronkite bag so you could just use the hard case for transit in trucks/planes?
    Great idea, but a case that even comes close to fitting a euphonium properly will not also take a euphonium in a Cronkite bag. You might find a small tuba case that could, though - maybe an F tuba case???
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

4. Never mind, I was just hoping it might be a cheap fix. I've never seen the skb in the flesh, but from the pics it looks a little short of padding, and I'd worry that the plastic could go a little brittle like hiscox cases do after a while. It seems the best flying option may be a Cronkite bag in the overhead locker, but I'd always worry about an airline refusing it and insisting on a euph in a gig bag being checked in the hold!

I suppose another idea is to try to get measurements of the exterior of the SBK case. If it seems ample, perhaps it would work to get the case and totally strip the padding out of it. Maybe your gig bag would fit inside then. The bag's padding would protect against shocks, and the hard shell would help protect against pressure intrusion.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

6. I needed a case for my yep321 and bought a gently used SKB case for it since it was really reasonable. For just my community band gigs it was too bulky. It was advertised as approved for air travel. I'd be willing to get rid of it for the price I bought it at. I am new to this forum and hope a sales pitch like this is not taboo. Sorry if it is but otherwise let me know if you are interested.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jbean88 View Post
    I'd be willing to get rid of it for the price I bought it at. I am new to this forum and hope a sales pitch like this is not taboo. Sorry if it is but otherwise let me know if you are interested.
    I will definitely keep this in mind.

8. I have a large Anvil flight case that came with my horn, but that's a rather large and expensive (and cumbersome) way of approaching it
    Music Education and Music Theory Major
    Miraphone M5050

9. I take my Sterling Virtuoso as hand luggage in a Marcus Bonna Case. In the last three years I travelled a lot between Port Moresby, Singapore, Hong Kong, Brisbane, Paris and Munich. I never had a problem to take the case into the cabin. Sometimes, mostly on older airplanes, the opening of the overhead locker is not big enough for the bell diameter. In that case I kindly ask at the gate to inform the cabin crew to help me with the storage of the intrument. I can highly recommend Air Niugini, Air France, Quantas and Lufthansa. Flying from Munich to e.g. London on a ticket at dumping price is different. On the very cheap airlines taking a big musical instrument as hand luggage is not an option. In that case I prefer travelling with my Soprano Euphonium (Flügelhorn;-))
    Sterling Virtuoso / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha 642 II / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha YBH 831S / Giddings Kadja S
    Yamaha Flügelhorn 631GS / DW2FL

10. How well does the Marcus Bonna case do for protection in the event that you aren't able to take it with you as hand luggage? For my flights I won't be able to take my horn on with me, as far as I understand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast