Thread: U.S. Marine Band "The President's Own" concert

U.S. Marine Band "The President's Own" concert

My wife and I got to take in the U.S. Marine Band "President's Own" concert last night at the Raymond Kravis Center for Performing Arts here in West Palm Beach. Kravis Center seats 2200 and it was sold out. As expected, it was a great concert! To my delight they performed Tom Davoren's "Ascension" featuring SSgt Hiram Diaz on euphonium and GySgt Amy McCabe on trumpet. Great playing -- and all from memory too! They both demonstrated wonderful musicality while looking very relaxed on stage. (see this link for program notes on "Ascension" if interested). They also played an encore but I forget the name. It kind of reminded me of 'dueling banjos' but more tasteful and dramatic.

I got to speak briefly with one of their newer tuba players, SSgt Landres Bryant. Landres is from West Palm Beach and attended Dreyfoos School of the Arts High School. I remember about 14 years ago sitting next to Landres when he was a sophomore. It was a comm band where Fred Dart was assistant conductor. One summer that band helped fund a trip for Landres to Interlochen. I was very impressed with Landres' playing. Even as a 15 y.o. he had a great tone and range. I think I counted 6 or 7 octave Bb's when he was warming up. He got his undergrad from Michigan and Masters' from Yale.

If you ever get the chance to see/hear any of the great military bands perform, don't miss it.

Raymond F. Kravis Ctr for Performing Arts:

Last edited by RickF; 10-14-2016 at 01:50 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Nice little auditorium you've got there!

I totally agree with Rick. If you have a chance to hear one of these bands, don't pass it up. Listening to these outstanding ensembles is uplifting and inspiring, and it helps give us all an example of what we should strive to attain in our own playing. After the concert, be sure to talk to the players if you can. They are generally an amiable bunch, and they especially enjoy talking got other players.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hiram is an occasional poster on the forum here and is one of the world's nicest guys and one of my absolute favorite players to listen to. Such a fantastic musician! Amy is no slouch either!

I also love Tom Davoren's works although I don't think I've ever heard Ascension. He's one of the few composers who have written solo repertoire for baritone horn, though, which makes him great in my book!
    --
    Barry

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I sure hope that these concerts will continue. With the chatter recently about limiting the scope and outreach of military bands, I remain concerned about the future of these types of events. I was inspired at a young age by listening to the main service bands perform in Washington, D.C. and was fortunate to play in one of them during the 70's. I still thoroughly enjoy listening to them in concert, as Rick did recently. They still inspire me!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

The Kravis center is very impressive. They just celebrated their 25th anniversary last Saturday where The Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches were asked to perform. All of the seats weren't filled but there were close to 1000 in attendance I believe. We did pretty well from the feedback I heard -- but nowhere as good as the Marine Band.

The Kravis center was privately funded - no mortgage or bond. Raymond Kravis was the biggest contributor, thus the name. My wife and I contributed, but only a couple of 'C' notes.

I forgot to mention that after intermission they announced that Landres Bryant was from WPB and that Hiram Diaz was from Miami. Both Landres and Hiram studied with professional tubist Jay Bertolet here in S. Florida. Mr Bertolet was principal tuba with the now defunct Florida Symphony. They announced that Jay Bertolet was in attendance too. It's nice that they recognize individual players and their mentors.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)