Thread: Springs for Yamaha YBB-621 3/4 BBb Tuba

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

Springs for Yamaha YBB-621 3/4 BBb Tuba

A friend of mine just purchased a new Yamaha YBB-621 3/4 Tuba which has a 4 piston in-line valve configuration (valves front, not top). He is an older gent, so not sure if that is the reason, but he claims the springs are very stiff and hard for him to manipulate. Our band director just visited with him, and he came to the same conclusion, however, he too, is an older gent.

Does anyone know if the springs on this tuba are indeed stiff? If so, do you know of any alternative springs that are less stiff? I looked on the Yamaha parts website, and they only seemed to offer the original springs as replacements.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Depending on the size of the valve casings, you might try euphonium springs -- or springs for an Eb tuba (like the YEB-321S). I just looked at my 1924 Buescher Eb and it has plastic coated fairly short springs in it. I seem to recall that I put my Mead euphonium springs in it because I didn't like them in the euph and they worked well in the tuba. So those springs are either the Mead ones or Yamaha springs. The Mead springs were too stiff for me in the euph, but were pretty much just right in the old tuba.

If you can measure the springs (diameter and length) and the casings, I can see what I've got around here that comes close to that. I like the Yamaha ones in general because of the plastic coating -- they're quieter and don't seem to get bent quite as easily. You can usually get them at different places on the web for not much money.

Some potential suppliers are Dawkes (http://www.dawkes.co.uk/windcraft+eu...?catno=gbr7080), Votaw Tool (http://www.votawtool.com/), and Ferree's (http://www.ferreestools.com/springs-brasswind.html). If you call Votaw or Ferree's, they'll be happy to talk to you and maybe make some suggestions.

These things aren't expensive, and so buying a few to experiment with may be a good way to go. Or maybe call Mike Morse at the Tuba Exchange and ask him for a suggestion (https://www.tubaexchange.com/pages/repair-services). My experience is that he doesn't respond reliably to email.

UPDATE: Don't know how I skipped this, but ... My go-to guy on stuff like this is Dan Schultz (www.thevillagetinker.com, danschultz@wowway.com). If you shoot him an email, my guess would be that he will know just what to suggest and may have what is needed as well. He is very good about email responses.
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 10-01-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Gary,

Thanks for the information. I also checked on TubeNet and one fellow said he and a lot of others went with Yamaha euphonium springs as replacements for their tubas. I, too, had tried Steven Mead springs in my Miraphone M5050 when I had it as the springs in the Miraphone were too light, and I had severe valve bounce with them. I also found the Mead springs to be too stiff in the Miraphone, and I ended up stretching out the original Miraphone springs (I know, not a good idea, but it worked fine or at least better than they were). I understand that Miraphone put out a stiffer set of springs for the M5050, but I never got them, and the horn is now sold.

I sent an email to Dan and will see what he has to say. I also looked at a YouTube video on him and his shop - pretty interesting.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Dan is great. He's helped out a lot in terms of advice and instruction on some of my projects. And for a few years I've played on an intermittent basis with someone here who has bought a couple of tubas from him -- including a Marzan BBb that has an incredible sound. It's kind of like what the voice of God should be, channeled through a tuba and delivered with complete "surround sound".
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)