Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me about this horn?

1. Can someone tell me about this horn?

I think it is a baritone, but it might be a euphonium
    Picture here: http://imgur.com/JyIj4oz
    If you can't read all of it, it says
    "F Besson
    Paris
    Brevete
    S.G.D.G.
    66 Hautes Recompenses
    6 Grand Prix
    Hors Concours
    Membre du Jury
    Made in France
    6126"

I don't think you can tell just from a picture of the engraving on the bell.

3. Sorry I wasn't specific, I'm not actually asking if it is a baritone or a euphonium. I'm just trying to figure out some info about the horn itself such as how old it is and what any of that writing means

I'd wager it's probably a saxhorn basse from about 1900, but without seeing the whole picture it's hard to guess.

F Besson means Fontaine Besson, also colloquially known as French Besson, which is an offshoot of the English Besson we all know.

Paris is of course where it was made.

Brevete SGDG means "patented"

the hautes recompenses, grand prix, hors concours is basically advertising -- telling you about all the great reviews, grand prizes, and high honors the company has won for their instruments. Membre du Jury means they are a member of the jury, suggesting that they are an established instrument maker.

6126 might be a serial number.
    --
    Barry

It appears Barry & I posted simultaneously, but here is my take.

First off, it probably dates to the late 19th century or early 20th. French origin. Restored, or a museum quality survivor.

As to just what type of horn, without a complete photo it is hard to say. Euph, baritone, saxhorn, maybe even a tuba.

Dennis
    Last edited by highpitch; 09-28-2016 at 09:38 PM.

6. Awesome! Here's a picture of the whole thing next to a trumpet for size reference http://imgur.com/BEG7l77

7. Also I know this is fairly impossible to say, but if anyone has any ideas about how much this kind of horn would be worth, that would be interesting to know
    Last edited by Disposabledolphin; 09-28-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Looks like a baritone to my untrained eye!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Looks like a baritone to my untrained eye!!
    I'm thinking saxhorn because there's a tuning slide on the tube before it enters the 1st valve.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

I agree it looks like a generic Bb baritone. Somewheres around the $250-500 range.

The location of the tuning slide isn't an indication of a saxhorn. Many lower brass were configured that way (to the detriment of intonation in most cases).

To be a period-correct (ca 1900) European saxhorn, it would have to be a 4-valve instrument; The third valve loop should be 2 full steps rather than 1-1/2. The fourth valve would be a 2-1/2 step as usual.

Here is an older post with better pix: http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...181#post132181

Please don't confuse this with the much older, American over-the-shoulder Civil War era horns referred to as saxhorns as well.

Dennis
    Last edited by highpitch; 09-29-2016 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast