Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me about this horn?

1. Very cool! Thanks for the help everyone! I am sure I will be able to tell more easily what horn it is once I find a mouthpiece for it because then I can narrow it down based on the key. I would say this was a pretty lucky find

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Dennis,

Your pictures of your horn (which I would like to see very much) do not open and seem to not be live links. Is my computer goofed up or something else? Perhaps a moderator can try as well to see if they can get your photos to open??
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

There is no such thing as a F. Besson "baritone". The size comparison to the trumpet makes me think it's a saxhorn alto, essentially a French-made alto horn, although it's possible it's a saxhorn tenore, which serves the same function as a baritone, but made for french bands. I agree with the $250-$500 range assessment, although maybe a bit more since the condition looks so nice. I'm sticking with the circa 1900 guess, give or take 15 years on either side.
    Last edited by bbocaner; 09-29-2016 at 08:57 AM.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Dennis,

Your pictures of your horn (which I would like to see very much) do not open and seem to not be live links. Is my computer goofed up or something else? Perhaps a moderator can try as well to see if they can get your photos to open??
    I can't edit it in a useful way. The photos look like they are attached, but the links don't work for me either. Not sure why!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Since you all seem to be the experts, what mouthpiece should I be looking for? A normal baritone mouthpiece wouldn't fit probably?

If it really is an alto, your trumpet mouthpiece should fit pretty well. It won't work well, but it'd be a good fit test. If it's a tenor, a small shank trombone mouthpiece might work, although it might possibly be a little big and not go in the full 1".

Report back.
    --
    Barry

7. Yeah the trumpet mouthpiece fits well but sounds strange

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I stand corrected (I am actually sitting) on my surmising that the horn in question might be a baritone. Not too many trumpet mouthpieces that I know of fit in a baritone horn's receiver. So, I am going to stop guessing the type of instrument based on a picture. Instead, I am going to get on my riding lawn mower and do a final spin around the yard before the first blizzard. As for what mouthpiece you should be looking for, I do know the answer to this puzzler - "the right one".
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

9. I think the trumpet mouthpiece goes in just slightly too far, but it isn't too far off!

I'd suggest a Dennis Wick Heritage Series Tenor Horn 2 or 3.
    --
    Barry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast