Hello,

I am a high-school Euphonium player with 5 years of playing experience. Whenever I play my Euphonium all is well and there's no complaints from the band director or brass staff. But when I switch over to my Marching Baritone ( Yamaha YBH-301M ) I get constant complaints from brass staff and my Band Director about the "Color of my sound". I am constantly told that my tone is far too bright. I play on a SM3X Mouthpiece on my Marching Baritone so I do not think that is the issue. My brass instructor also tells me that I need to shift my embouchure. I found out that I have a Low Embouchure (More bottom lip than top lip in the mouthpiece) and my brass instructor is always telling me to have more top lip than bottom lip in the mouthpiece. Whenever I do do this, I find that my teeth really get in the way so I naturally move more bottom lip into the mouthpiece to correct it, hence the Low Embouchure. I sound great on Euphonium I am told, but on Marching Baritone (and Trombone) I'm told my tone is just too bright. Is there anyway I can darken my tone with my original embouchure?(When I play, I make sure to keep my mouth and throat open) Or will I have to shift my embouchure? Any help would be greatly appreciated.