Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mouthpiece for king 2280

mouthpiece for king 2280

i was asked to play euphonium in a community group and have been using a great little 3 valve holton, but i succumbed to the temptation of a better, larger instrument and bought a King 2280. i guess i should have realized, but it didn't occur to me until i read a thread about a 2280 a couple of posts down the page that the mouthpiece i've been using 51D (standard trombone size) might not fit.

i have no idea what size mouthpiece will fit the lead pipe on this instrument. help? i like the 51D or something similar... do i need to look for a larger shank?

The 2280 uses a bass trombone shank size. The 51D can be purchased in that size. You can get a Lexan version pretty cheaply from Kelly:

http://www.kellymouthpieces.com/kmtr...arge/index.asp
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Here's another good option, the CKB/UMI/King (all the same mouthpiece with tulip shaped bowl). Here's the link to the previous discussion here on the forum.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...G#.V7p1d_krKM8
    Last edited by John the Theologian; 08-21-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: additional info added

2280 uses the large shank. I might suggest and it's a hard thing to accomplish, but personally I find every horn that I have tried or owned responds and plays differently with the same size mouthpiece. The 2280 is a nice horn.

Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post
    Here's another good option, the CKB/UMI/King (all the same mouthpiece with tulip shaped bowl). Here's the link to the previous discussion here on the forum.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...G#.V7p1d_krKM8
    i want to thank everyone for taking time to reply. is the CKB/UMI/King you mention a large size shank? it doesn't really say and i'm not sure. i ordered the lexan 51D and would go ahead and get the other to see which one i like best. might as well start a euphonium mouthpiece collection too... i have a shoe box full to tuba mouthpieces i've tried... still haven't found the perfect one...

thanks again.

I have a King 2280 and came from Bass Trombone and tuba. I play a Schilke Symphony Series D5.3*. It is bigger than the 51D.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

I use a 4g. I like the Sm3, but the shank is a little small for my 2280, which seems to have a larger than average shank

Quote Originally Posted by mbrown View Post
    i want to thank everyone for taking time to reply. is the CKB/UMI/King you mention a large size shank? it doesn't really say and i'm not sure. i ordered the lexan 51D and would go ahead and get the other to see which one i like best. might as well start a euphonium mouthpiece collection too... i have a shoe box full to tuba mouthpieces i've tried... still haven't found the perfect one...

thanks again.
    Yes, the CKB/UMI/King is a large shank.

Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post
    Yes, the CKB/UMI/King is a large shank.
    thanks, i ordered one... AND, i'd sent an email to the seller asking about a mp, the ad didn't mention one way or the other. since it's a dealer i thought i'd give it a shot. i received and email just now that there is one. sooo, all of a sudden, i have THREE mp's! i bought the lexan, then the size of the one you mentioned sounded tempting, so i got that (he gave me a little bit off) and now this one.

we have a program sunday and i was hoping to use the new rig there if it gets here in time.

58mark, how do you find the sound of the 4g? Looks like similar specs to the Denis wick 4AL, but a lot of opinion I have seen/heard is that is makes a better trombone than euph mouthpiece. I don't often see it recommended for euph but am tempted to try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast