Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popularity of Alto Horn (Tenor Horn in UK)

Question Popularity of Alto Horn (Tenor Horn in UK)

I've been a euphonium player since high school, but in the last couple years I've become aware of the growing popularity of alto horns in the US. I'm seeing videos on YouTube of great alto horn solos and I'm just wondering if it's just me having been out of touch and just now discovering these great performances or if this instrument actually is enjoying a rise in popularity now.
    I must say, the idea of playing one of these beautiful looking and lovely sounding horns sounds like a great alternative to performing on my euphonium.
    Does anyone have advice to give as to an alto horn that will be a good choice without breaking the bank? Are there older horns which might be as good as or better than some of the newer choices?
    Bill Linthwaite

1939 Holton US Euphonium

Don't know about choosing a horn, but I'm having visions of alto horn players replacing French horn sections, hitting their entrances solidly, and playing in tune. Probably too much to hope for.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Don't forget looking into a mellophone.

d

Ouch! I take it you've experienced some questionable alto horn intonation? Or was it some horn sections that needed replacing?
    Bill Linthwaite

1939 Holton US Euphonium

I started out, like many, on a mellophone in Jr high, and played one a while later as an adult, but found the tone and intonation not so good. I much prefer the bell upright shape. Just feels better and works better for me.
    Bill Linthwaite

1939 Holton US Euphonium

Wanted for intonation crimes in several countries!

I've a 1917 Conn mello in pretty nice shape. It is set up to play in either C, D, or Eb, low or high pitch.

It does play decently in tune, unlike my friend's Holton....

The C & D crooks dont get a lot of use, tho.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyHolton View Post
    Ouch! I take it you've experienced some questionable alto horn intonation? Or was it some horn sections that needed replacing?
    I think he is referring to Horn in F, or French Horn as it is also known. It is a much more difficult instrument than the Eb Alto/Tenor horn. The design of the Horn in F produces a very complex and beautiful tone, but it also results in less advanced players hitting a lot of wrong notes. Small changes in right hand position within the bell can cause the instrument to play out of tune, so less advance players often get the right hand position wrong and play out of tune. The upright Eb Alto/Tenor horn is based on the same conical design principles as the euphonium and baritone and as a result speaks more easily and top quality instruments make playing in tune easier. Also newest top designs use a larger bore, greatly improving tone quality.

Yeah, exactly.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I'm not really opposed to getting a mellophone, if the right one came along, but I think a nice vintage alto horn would tempt me more!
    Bill Linthwaite

1939 Holton US Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    The C & D crooks dont get a lot of use, tho.

Dennis
    I have one of these that I play in a quintet (in F), usually in tune. But, I'm always wondering why a D crook is included. The others (C, Eb, F) are obvious but I'm puzzled as to when one would use a D crook. Can anyone shed some light on this? What was going on a hundred years ago that required a D tuning?
    Steve Petrangelo
    Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (trombone/treasurer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast