Thread: Bell Mic Placement

1. Bell Mic Placement

This fall, the marching band I'm in is performing a show called "Sound Of Silence". The opener of the show is (quite appropriately) The Sound Of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel. My band director (Who is a euphonium player like myself) decided that the opening phrases would be played as a euphonium solo. He plans to have me playing the solo while standing on a prop around the 50 yard line and the solo will be mic'd so hearing it won't be a problem.

I don't remember what brand the mic is or what brand the speakers are, but I've heard them used by a trombone player, cornet player, and several saxophone players in marching band shows before this year and the sound quality is fabulous. In an effort to have the best tone heard by the audience and judges, where would the best place to put the mic be? It clips on to the bell of the instrument and extends inwards, so I could rotate it to any point on the bell. If anyone has any experience with sound systems or playing with a mic on their instrument, advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thomann EP 902SL Superior Euphonium

Eastman Shires ETB432G Trombone

I can't imagine that it would matter where on the rim it is placed. The sound ought to be pretty uniform.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Unless someone else is really crowding you during your solo and playing close enough to be picked up by the mic, I don't think it makes a difference. However, after your solo, what are you doing with the mic for the rest of your show? Does it stay on? Slip into a pocket? Get turned off? If you have to move it when you're done, make sure it's somewhere you can easily get it when you're done, sometimes the bell on a marching baritone/euphonium can be tricky to maneuver around. Out of curiosity, what are you performing the solo on? (marching bari, marching euph, concert euph, etc.)
    1905 Boosey Class A Euphonium-Wick SM4M
    Yamaha 301M Marching Baritone-Schilke 52
    1960 Conn 11J-Conn Helleberg
    1961 Conn 14J-Vincent DFL
    2015 King 2341-Bach Corp. 24AW
    Olds O95 Sousaphone-King 26