Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [sold] FS: Hirsbrunner 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium in Silver

Thumbs up [sold] FS: Hirsbrunner 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium in Silver

This Hirsbrunner is in very good shape, although it has clearly had a lot of use. There are some minor dents, and you can see some real wear in small areas from holding, probably. Silver plating is mostly good, but there is tarnish easily seen, so you'd want to polish it first thing. Case is NOT included. Given the prestigious nature of the Hirsbrunner, I think the prices below are reasonable.

It is offered in 2 listings. One is a buy-it-now with a Make Offer button, and the other is a normal auction. Not sure I've seen that before, but take your pick!

Bidding auction, starting bid is NOW $3,000 (reduced from original listing):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hirsbrunner-...-/262567950843

Buy-It-Now offer for $3,999:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hirsbrunner-...-/262563913277

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	4274 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	40 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	4275 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	35 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	4276 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	34 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	4277 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	4278
    Last edited by RickF; 08-23-2016 at 09:25 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Never seen the Make An Offer button, or seeing both auction and a BIN?

For the former, you name a price that the seller thinks about. If he approves, you're now on the hook to buy it. You pay that and you receive the item.

For the latter, once someone puts in a bid, the auction's on, and the BIN button is no longer a choice (it's removed).

EDIT: ohh.. I misread the "2 listings" part. I didn't think that was allowed, as what if someone buys it from one of the listings? I thought there would need to be 2 items for sale to list them like that. Yeah, that is odd.
    Last edited by ackmondual; 08-10-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Seller has lowered the opening bid on the auction listing. Both the link and the starting bid are corrected now in the first post.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

That's pretty darn beat up. The bell looks like it's been absolutely crushed (or severely damaged multiple times) and has been more or less straightened out but is far from smooth. There are huge gouges in the finish in other parts. I don't think I'd buy that at even half the opening bid.
    --
    Barry

Barry,

Your eye may be better than mine, but I did not pick up on that and I'm not sure if I see it now. Are you sure the gouges aren't the dark tarnish spots in the photos? (At least, that's what those look like to me.) And the photo of the inside of the bell seems about as smooth as it should be for a horn that has been played a lot. What was the indication of severe damage you saw? (This is partly to educate me, but I have had a lot of used horns in my hands over the years.)

Thanks!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I've been eyeing this listing for a few days and the bell looks fine to me. Even if it has been damaged, the repair job was outstanding.
    I still intend to get into the bidding war, if I win I'll write up a report

Quote Originally Posted by DaTweeka View Post
    ...if I win I'll write up a report
    YES!! We love hearing those real-life stories! It's also instructive for anyone who may want to buy a used horn in the future.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Use the enlarge function on ebay. If you look at the first picture there, look at the reflections in the bell. Things that should be smooth straight lines (like the edge of the table or the reflection of the upper bow) are wavy, suggesting major dents have been repaired. If you look at the second photo (on ebay, which is different than the second photo above) you can see marks going around the circumference of the bell which are indicative of a dent machine being carelessly used to straighten out the bell. The reflections there at that point also have a mottled look rather than a mirror-like finish. Regular finish wear resulting from poor maintenance looks different, cloudy or dull. But the mottling suggests to me that repeated low-quality repairs have been made to different damage making the brass no longer smooth. The third picture clearly shows three relatively big dents in the critical leadpipe area, and numerous smaller dents in the first and third valve tubing. In the fourth photo it looks to me like the instrument's been taken apart, the bottom bow looks like it doesn't fit perfectly, there's a gap, and I think it looks like solder around the brace that you can see through the third valve tubing. I'm not certain about these two observations based on the photo, but it certainly looks that way to me. In the next photo you can see more of the same evidence of sloppy use of dent machines and witness marks from previous dents on the other side of the bell. You can also see that the bell rim has gouges in it all the way around, it looks like it was set bell-down on a rough surface like concrete or asphalt many times. In the last photo with the valves pulled out you can see several deep scratches in the bell that go beyond what I would consider normal finish wear. There are a few other photos that confirm what I'm seeing and don't offer any evidence to the contrary.
    --
    Barry

I bought a horn from him and it was fine. The only problem was he only responds to email even though he had a telephone number listed. Silver plating makes rolling out a dented bell even harder. I don't see the damage but that doesn't mean it's not there.

I'm not commenting on the seller, only this one particular item. Silver plating usually makes it easier to affect dent repairs as some of the witness marks of stretching can be buffed away, whereas with a lacquered instrument they are trapped under the lacquer.
    --
    Barry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast