Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custom Adams E3 for Brass Band use

Quote Originally Posted by DutchEupho View Post
    Now all I need to do is convince the wife that it is worth every penny ;-)
    One of my friends with a large instrument collection had this bit of advice: if you are happy, you will be more pleasant to be around, and your wife will be happy. You will (depending upon your ages) have several decades together (let's say four decades, for this example). A custom Adams, with every possible upgrade and accessory, will cost less than $10,000. Divided by 40 years, that's a mere $250 per year. That's the cost of one night together at a Broadway show (without dinner). Surely, your mutual happiness is worth the cost of one Broadway show.

I haven't tried it yet, but he claims it's worked for him.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

dsurkin: That's very creative!

DutchEupho: Thanks for the very clear feedback on the E3! We love hearing all the various details from other players' perspectives.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but in the UK have some of the new brands-- Wessex, Rath, JIP, Shires, etc, made any dent into the traditionalism of the Brits?

When I was playing in an American brass band about 25 years ago, Yamaha was the big player here, but, if I recall, Yamaha, still didn't have a huge market share in the UK where Besson still reigned supreme except in the use of Conn trombones.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    DutchEupho,

Thanks for the great updates. I had the good fortune to remember to ask to have my valves vented when I ordered my Adams E3, which is just like your preferred setup above with the exception of the finish (mine is brushed and the bell is fully engraved), and I don't have the heavy bottom cap for the 4th valve. Were you able to try both the heavy cap and the standard cap? If so, what differences specifically did you find? I have both receivers and have settled on the SS for now. I may change it up later and see the effect after getting totally used to the SS.

I am happy to have my wife tell your wife that it is worth every penny - she is a believer! Hope you get it!!
    Last edited by John Morgan; 12-27-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

5. John,

Wife gave the green light! (love her to bits!)

About the 4th valve heavy cap.....
    First of all the euphonium feels more balanced when i hold it (the SS bell makes the euph want to tilt back) The heavy 4th cap balances that out somewhat.
    Soundwise, It's a subtle diference but I feel that it gives the sound a bit more presence (or punch, if you will) I've liked this heavy 4th on the Virtuoso for the same reasons.
    Perhaps Dave could explain why he uses it on his E1. (he has a heavy 4th bottom cap on there, if i'm not mistaking)

So now it's time to talk to Adams on how to proceed.....
    The euphonium is with me in raw brass now so it needs to be polished and plated. (Preferrably in a way that doesn't separate me from the euph for long ;-) )
    Last edited by DutchEupho; 01-01-2017 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchEupho View Post
    John,

Wife gave the green light! (love her to bits!)
    Excellent!! Perhaps you can have Adams vent the valves while they do the finish work. I like that feature a lot, particularly with pulling the 4th valve slide and not having to try to hold down the 4th valve.

You are going to grow to love that horn!! I loved mine immediately, and more so now.

Happy New Year, and let your wife know she is super (as I do to my wife all the time)!
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

7. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4149.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	969.3 KB 
ID:	4843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4150.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	647.1 KB 
ID:	4844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4151.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	911.5 KB 
ID:	4845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4152.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	919.0 KB 
ID:	4846

I’ve been playing my 0.6 Sterling Silver E3 for a bit over 2 weeks now. (see pictures)

I’m getting to know the E3 better every day. Love the sound it makes, especially in mp-mf in de middle register.
    I’m certainly capable of singing over the Brass band at FF with this horn. Players from within the band comment that my sound is more noticeable and they tell me they prefer it over the Virtuoso (heavy red bell) sound.
    I’ve been playing around with some mouthpieces I have, and the best match seems to be the wick 4AL (in my case a 4AL with a DE 104 rim). The 4AL enables me to mold the sound the most (with the receiver turned out 2 full turns).

I’ve never been a player that needs to warm up a lot. But with the Adams I need more time to get the feeling of the horn before I really start playing. I guess that’s just getting used to playing “with” the horn instead of playing through a horn.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

You are going to really love that new horn!! It takes me a bit to warm up, and I am still getting used to the horn after having it almost 9 months. Congratulations on the new horn. It is a beauty!!
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123