X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jelliott
    • Jun 2013

My new Adams E1

I just received my E1 this afternoon. Configuration is .60 material, yellow brass bell, with polished lacquer finish, no trigger. I visited Austin Custom Brass near Boston and tested E1's, .60 and .80, sterling silver bell, yellow brass bell; an E2 silver plate and an E3. My choice was shipped yesterday, delivered today!

I am delighted with it! It plays like it is part of me. I haven't had much time on it but the time has been great.

Can I ask a stupid question! It does not have a protector for the fourth valve. Is there a recommended approach to avoid pressure from the side during time in the case and other occasions outside the case. I have a case with wheels that I would like to use that does not provide the close, tailored-to-fit environment and the valve will be at risk if I don't do something.
    John Elliott
    Adams E1, .60 mm, sterling silver bell, brushed lacquer
    Mouthpiece--Griego 5, Denis Wick SM4U, Denis Wick 4AL
  • John Morgan
    • Apr 2014

Hey John,

Congratulations on the new horn!!

I got an Adams a couple months ago, and was also a bit surprised at it not having a valve stem lock down. I asked anyone who would answer (Dave Werden mostly) if that had been an issue with their Adams. He said no. His Adams E1 fits in the Marcus Bonna case with a pad on each side of the 4th valve stem. My Adams is an E3 and a bit wider I think, so I have no pads. The valve just sort of closes as the horn is stuffed in the case. Has not been a problem so far. Dave Werden also uses an Altieri gig bag where the horn has more freedom to move, and still claims to have not had any issues. He very likely will weigh in on this, too.

On other horns, I used to close the 4th valve with the lock when emptying the 4th valve slide, but on the Adams, my valves are vented, so this is not really an issue. I just pull the slide without trying to do any gymnastics to hold the 4th valve closed while pulling the slide.

I think you are really going to enjoy your new Adams!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

John answered very well for me!

My best evidence is the fact that I use my gig bag virtually all the time (I have not yet flown with the horn), and in everyday schlepping the valve just sits on the bottom of the bag. No problems since I started using the Adams in 2012.

Adams does offer a "lock" that is a separate piece. It is a long metal rod bent at both ends. There is a cup at the valve-button end to hold the valve down, and a cone on the other end that fits into the vent hole in the bottom valve cap. I have one and would not use it. I'd be afraid it might get knocked loose by vibration or TSA during travel.

If you are nervous about flying, just put some heavy rubber bands around the thing. I think that would work, but I have not tried it.

To date Adams has not had any reports of the kind of damage we're discussing.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• jelliott
        • Jun 2013

Thanks, John and Dave! I will be very careful.
        John Elliott
        Adams E1, .60 mm, sterling silver bell, brushed lacquer
        Mouthpiece--Griego 5, Denis Wick SM4U, Denis Wick 4AL

Comment

• AustinCustomBrass
          • May 2015

Thanks John for the great visit and your support! We really enjoyed having you here and glad the Euph made it quickly to you (one day shipping, not bad from door to door!).

Best regards and Welcome to the Adams Family!

Trent
          Trent Austin
          Owner
          Austin Custom Brass
          www.austincustombrass.biz
          I started on Baritone BTW in 3rd grade band

Comment

Working...
          X