Thread: New App: MusiQuiz - Music Flashcard App

New App: MusiQuiz - Music Flashcard App

Hi all,

Wanted to share an app I've been working on for a while now. It's a music flashcard app for mobile devices.

In addition to those who might have students who would find this useful, it's handy for those who are looking to brush up on alternate clefs. It has Baritone and Euphonium in both Treble and Bass Clef as well as Trombone in Tenor Clef for the adventurous.

The app is $1.99 and available now on iPhone/iPad, Android, and Amazon Kindle Fire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quiz.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	4235
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Based on the screen shot it looks friendly. I would have had to think if one of the choices had been Eb!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Based on the screen shot it looks friendly. I would have had to think if one of the choices had been Eb!
    Thanks!

I'd be interested in folks' opinions around whether a clef-changer would be served better if they had to answer with a transposed note name, as in Dave's example above?
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Showing a treble clef note and asking what it is in bass clef and vice versa I think would be a good drill. That is for Bb euphonium. Maybe even showing what it looks like in a picture with the answer. I think this is probably a useful tool for some. I believe the hardest thing for any person, for example, who reads treble clef euphonium only, is to make the decision to learn to read the part in bass clef. Or other way around. Once that hurdle is overcome, then the learning becomes easier. And once someone is fluent in treble and bass, tenor is a piece of cake.

One other thing regarding learning bass and treble. I have found over the years that it is really nice and useful and sometimes downright necessary to be able to read either one. Playing concert band music, you usually get the baritone/euphonium music in both clefs, but sometimes not, maybe a part or two is missing. Then the person who plays treble clef only, or bass clef only, may only have the "other" part to read from. I have seen this happen a bazillion times over the years, and if you read both, it is not a problem. This might not be as much of a big deal if you play brass band music exclusively, as the euphonium and baritone parts are always in treble clef, but it never hurts to read bass.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 07-23-2016 at 05:54 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I agree with John. That would be a separate (advanced) lesson, perhaps. Flash cards are still useful drill for learning note names and similar things. So start with note names in the clef you present, then maybe have an advanced/optional section to name the concert pitch. The latter would be useful for treble clef readers in a general sense, even if they have not switched to treble from bass.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium