Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Adams E3 selected model

New Adams E3 selected model

Hi,

I recieved today my new adams euphonium, it's the E3 selected model and I feel a little lost. I just had time to play some scales and extracts of score.
    I used to play for 17 years on a Courtois symphony model. The courtois was heavy and "solid" and the adams feel light and tiny in my hands. I know I have some air flow issue and when playing pp note on the Courtois needed an effort, it feels so easy on the adams. Sound comes so easily. But the weight and the size disturb me.
    I tried to ajust the reciever but it stays a mystery.

Now, I think I need time to play and play again...

Regards,
    Pascal.

PS. Thanks for this forum, it's really nice to read for month and now to share with you all.

Congratulations on your new horn!

I agree it is a completely different feel compared to your old horn. The Adams is designed so that the horn is very free to vibrate with the resonance of your sound. The way to get the most out of the Adams is to not force it, but strive to get the horn to resonate and project that way. It is hard to describe in words, but you don't want to blow *through* the horn - you want to blow *with* it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Could you tell us about the configuration of your horn? And why you made the choices?
    John Elliott
    Adams E1, .60 mm, sterling silver bell, brushed lacquer
    Mouthpiece--Griego 5, Denis Wick SM4U, Denis Wick 4AL

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizan View Post
    ....But the weight and the size disturb me. I tried to ajust the reciever but it stays a mystery.

Now, I think I need time to play and play again...

Regards,
    Pascal.
    Hi Pascal,

Congratulation on your new Adams E3. I, too, received an Adams E3 two months ago. I love it.

Someone asked the configuration of your horn, but if you say it is the E3 Selected Model, then that is yellow brass bell, 0.60 gauge metal and silver plated. Nice choice!!

What Dave says about not forcing it is so true. The horn does some of the work for you. Very easy and fast response. Let the horn resonate, which it will. Just start playing long tones on various pitches and feel the resonance in the horn. Play them long and vary the dynamic. Go up and down the horn this way. You will start to feel the notes settle in. It is an amazing horn.

As for the adjustable gap receiver, I experimented with that a lot. I tried it all the way screwed in, then unscrewed it maybe 20 full turns to see what it was like way out. Big difference at both extremes, but more subtle and hard to distinguish differences with just a turn or a half turn of the receiver. I ended up somewhere in the range of unscrewing it about 2-3 turns from when it is screwed all the way in. That seems to be best in flexibility and centering/slotting of notes for me. It might be a bit different with you and also different if you use different mouthpieces with different shank lengths. You do just have to experiment. Try a setting for a day or two, then adjust it differently. You can do some A/B stuff by trying it all in, 1 turn out, 2 turns out, etc., but pretty soon your head will explode with all the slight differences. If you find after playing that you are not able to hit high notes with accuracy for instance, then try adjusting the gap. Or if slurring intervals is either harder or too sloppy (two extremes), then try an adjustment. Just takes time and experimentation.

Good luck with the new horn. What mouthpiece are you using?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks to all for your advices

Dave : I completely understand what you mean. After long moment with big difficulty to play, I began to manage better my airflow and now I think I have to understand that my euphonium is no more an enemy to fight with but a kind of part of me.

Jelliott : It is the configuration that John Morgan tell in is post. I couldn't try differents models and I thought somehow it took time to be sure of my choice. So I bought it on internet and I have 30 days if I want to return it.
    I choose this one because I wanted a good intonation. I had a lot of issue with my Courtois and I don't like using a trigger at all. I read a lot on this forum and also had listened a lot of youtube videos. I hesitated between 3 models :
    - Yamaha neo
    - Miraphone 5050
    - and Adams E2 (for his darker sound)
    And finally, E3 came and what a read on it convinced to give it a try

John Morgan : Thanks for your advice about the receiver. I think I will start at the 2 extremes and try to find a "point d'équilibre" which suits to me. For now, I play a sm4u. I started on a D. Wick 5BL but my low notes was so poor for my teacher. So I bought a SM3. I liked it but air flow issue made high range difficult for me. Some years ago, I decided to try sm4u and I started to feel better and releasing my throat. Now I think in some months after practice it with E3, I will perhaps give a try to others mouthpiece because SM4u doesn't give me the sound I'd like.
    Models I expect to test are :
    - D. Wick 4AL
    - Romera brass 14C35 or a little shallower one
    - Alliance DC 3
    I'd like to test a GW Carbonaria but it's expensive to get one from France "just to try"

I'm open for others proposals

Regards,
    Pascal.

PS. hope you can understand all my poor english.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Pascal - your English is fine and way better than my French!! I like your comment about finding a "point d'équilibre"! That is surely the goal, and it might take a bit of time and experimenting to dial it in exactly.

I am using the Demondrae Thurman signature model mouthpiece (gold plated version) that came with my Miraphone M5050. I love it. It is larger than the 4 series of mouthpieces (4AL, SM4U, etc.) with a diameter of 26.162 mm, but just a bit wider as the 4's are at 26.0 mm. The main difference may be in the cup shape and depth, where I think the Demondrae is deeper than the 4's. It really works for me, but I also know that the Demondrae mouthpiece is harder for some folks in the area of upper range and endurance. I play so much, however, that range and endurance aren't a problem for me, at least not right now in my life. And my physical makeup and lips and chops seem to be well suited to this particular mouthpiece.

Anyhow, enjoy the Adams. I think in time you will really come to love it. I sure love mine.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Hi,

I'm so sad with my adams. I started to like it but I discovered a little soldering issue ;(

https://youtu.be/MuOpUu4ofWc

Now my shop tell me that it will take 4 or 5 month to have another one or... that they can fix it ! It's a lot time to wait and having a fixed euphonium while I paid for a new one is a little weird.

What do you think of this ? Any advice ?

Regards,
    Pascal

That's unfortunate. That looks like a deffective brace and not something that Adams folks did wrong. I think this could be fixed (resoldered) real easily by a good brass repair tech. Just my opinion..
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

It looks to me like someone did not flow enough solder into that joint between the small-diameter middle piece and the larger-diameter end piece. It should be easy for a competent local shop to fix, though, especially on a silver-plated horn. I would ask Adams to pay for the repair.

We have seen reports of similar new-horn problems with most of the major brands. Probably the most consistent horns are made by Yamaha, I suppose because there is so much automation in the process, and even they have problems on new horns sometimes. I hate to see it, because I know how much of a pain it is to have something wrong with a new product.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

looks like it was never soldered and is absolutely something they did wrong at adams. When these braces are put together the two sockets are soldered to the tubing and then the tubular brace is added to the middle when it's assembled. It's a 2 minute job to fix but the tech will have to be very careful that they are very neat with it as solder loves to stick to silver plating.
    --
    Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast