Thread: Trinity ATCL Written Programme Notes

Trinity ATCL Written Programme Notes

Hey all,

I am sitting my Trinity ATCL Recital in October and I am in the process of writing my programme notes. Jus to get as much information as possible, I was wanting to see if some people could help me with some programme notes for some pieces. Some of the pieces I won't really need any help with as I can easily find some information on it, but some is slightly more difficult to find out (in particular Rhaposdy for Euphonium and Sonata in F).

So I would really appreciate any information you might have. Don't take this the wrong way, I am not getting anyone to write the notes up for me haha! I just thought I should ask so I can get a broad range of information, some of which I may not be on the internet.

Thanks

ATCL Recital Programme
    Sonata in F (B. Marcello arr. S. Mead)
    Softly Awakes My Heart (C. Saint-Saens arr. P. Sparke)
    The Prussian (C. Millar) - don't worry about this one unless you have been lucky enough to play it before
    Rhapsody for Euphonium (J. Curnow)
    Nessun Dorma (G. Puccini arr. H. Snell)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I don't have my copy of the Rhapsody for Euphonium with me at the moment (I am scheduled to play it so my part and the band accompaniment is with someone else), but I remember reading the stuff I think on the Score or the inside folder cover. There is a bunch of stuff there about the piece, who it was written for, the three sections of the piece, etc. I think you will find all you need right there if you have access to the complete package. If you don't have the package, let me know, and perhaps I can get the notes to you.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Here are the concert notes for the Curnow:

"Originally written by the composer as a teaching piece for his own euphonium students, RHAPSODY FOR EUPHONIUM is dedicated to the memory of the composer's teacher, Leonard Falcone. Since its first release in 1978, Rhapsody for Euphonium has gone on to become a very important part of the euphonium literature.

The composition begins with an unaccompanied soliloquy by the soloist. This beautiful melody, set in the Dorian mode, establishes the molto espressivo style of the first third of the composition. Six measures later, the ensemble enters, playing undulating rhythmic patterns that help to create intensity. The solo continues with the euphonium presenting musical material, which is imitated and answered by the accompanying ensemble.

The second third of the composition features an exciting scherzo that presents call and response type statements between the soloist and the ensemble. Contrasting dynamics, exciting syncopation and fast paced sixteenth passages also highlight this portion of the solo.

The last section of the solo features the extremely melodious tone of the euphonium in a lovely obbligato passage. This obbligato flows over melodic material from the first third of the piece. Via a rapid accelerando, the solo moves into a brilliant coda, which recapitulates many of the thematic ideas from earlier passages."
    Sophomore Music Ed. Major at Valdosta State University
    Willson 2900S w/ BB1 EU
    Bach 42 w/ Stork BT4