Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The sound I aspire to....

Unless I press the valve down, I hear it sucking wind as I pull the slide. If I draw the slide out, wait then shove it back in and then press the key, it will pop. If I pull the 1 slide out fast and let go it will suck back up a 1/4". the 3 has more friction and won't suck back up freely. The valves may be a little looser than optimal, but the instrument looks like it may have been played two years. The bell has been on the floor quite a bit, but the silver hasn't worn through. Somebody bent the bell flair a bit and hid the damage well by bending it back. There is no dent more than 1/8 th inch. It is non-compensating. Intonation on a proper guitar is tighter than these horns. I see the Adams is a pretty good contender. I just never realized how off horns could be.

It is not a perfect test, but from what you describe your valves are not leaking excessively. That's a good thing! The rest may be just getting better at "lipping" notes where they need to be. Use a tuner, and try to bend the note until it is actually sharp. Do so with the best tone you can retain. That will give you more strength to put the note in tune without too much strain.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    More or less. The Eb note is such a habit that I tend to play it sharp on a non-compensating horn. Some of my habits from years of playing Besson and Sterling are still in place... but my Adams does not need that same treatment, so I am working against myself! It's something I am focusing on so try to rid myself of the old habits, but my Besson/Sterling tenure was 46 years - it will take me a while to teach my brain.
    Thanks Dave, The Sterling seems to show as quite good on your Intonation Chart was it a different model that you played.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Thanks Dave, The Sterling seems to show as quite good on your Intonation Chart was it a different model that you played.
    I played several Sterling horns, because for a while I would swap my current horn with a new one as they brought in new improvements. That's how we tried to keep the progress moving forward. It because more stable after a time, and the last model I played was one I had for 5 years. That's the one in the chart you saw.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

on non-compensating instruments there are bound to be more 'iffy' notes tuning wise. I can remember that on the Besson International I had years ago, the G beneath the staff (TC) was always too flat if I used my 4th valve, same with the low D with 4. It's knowing your instrument and how you need to play certain notes in tune on it that is the difficult part, but the more you play, the better you get to know how to handle it. When I switched back from the International to my compensating Willson every week, it felt so much easier to spot tuning problems and solve them because I had the experience from the Besson.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123