Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euphonium Doubler mouthpiece

1. Smile Euphonium Doubler mouthpiece

Hello!

This is my first post here, nice to meet you all!I am sorry about my bad english, my primarly lenguage is spanish because I am from Peru . I m sorry if this is one of the "not again" posts asking about asking some advices to get a Euphonium mouthpiece for a Tuba player. I played tuba for some years, I play little of euphonium but I want to work more in order to improove and be able to play It as much as I play tuba, try to become serious Euphonium player. I purchased a DC2 but I dont like much the sound I get, also can t reach more than the A or G above the staff, I think It is a good mouthpiece but just no for me. I trayed some of the SM Ultra ( SMU2 SM3 SM4) dont remember if SM4X, that some of my euphonium friends borrowed me to test. I found the SMU2 more confortable with big low register and some eas for the midel register, The SMU4 I found little bit small because I am tuba player, but liked much the tone, and my friends said that It was more Euphonium tone that my DC2 and the SMU2. Here in Peru I dont have all the bunch of mouthpiece to test as GW or Brian Bowman of Conn Helleberg wich I would love to , but here I can find Dennis Wick, Schilke, Bach, JK, Bruno Tilz, Faxx. Can you help me please? Thank you so much for your time, and have a great weekend! Jose.

Hi Josh (if that is correct),

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about your English, it's fine. Not sure I can help much as I've never played tuba. The mouthpieces you tried so far are good mouthpieces for playing euphonium. There is a Yamaha performing artist I know in NY who plays both tuba and euphonium and he likes the Schilke 60 on euphonium. That's a huge mouthpiece for euphonium. It works for him but I think that's because he is used to playing tuba more. A mouthpiece that big would make the higher notes even harder to obtain than the mouthpieces you've tried already.

As far as playing higher in range it just takes time and practice. Think of moving your air faster to make the lips vibrate faster.

Hope this helps. Again, welcome to the forum.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I don't know if this would help anyone else give you a recommendations, but just out of curiosity what size of tuba mouthpiece and size of tuba do you regularly play? Because for me, I am primarily a Euphonium player and thus my Euphonium mouthpiece is more along the typical sizes, but my tuba mouthpiece is on the smaller side of tubas. I think what we need to do with you is find what size is most comfortable that produces a good Euphonium sound as well. Since you can try them more readily, I would suggest trying a wick mouthpiece with a 3 rim size. I personally liked the SM3U, another one to try would also be a heritable 3AL. Two years ago, I actually favored that over the Steven mead line based on sound and comfort.

I would definitely give Schilke a good try, because I have always liked the fullness of the tone a schilke can produce. I've never explored their products as widely, but they are of good quality.

Experimentation is the name of the game sadly, it is hard to just give a perfect recommendation when I don't know how or what you play on a regular basis. Happy to answer any questions though.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I do the reverse of what you do. I am primarily a euphonium player, and I sometimes double on tuba. In the past I played a lot more tuba than today.

First, I don't believe there is a tuba-size (or nearly that big) mouthpiece that will give you a true euphonium sound. If I were you, I would stick with a good euphonium mouthpiece and just get used to the two different sizes. If you can find a standard Wick 4AL I would give that a try. It feels a bit more open than the SM series, which might make it a better fit for a tuba player.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I find that the Wick 3AL works best for me in this capacity. For example, it allows me to play both euphonium and tuba parts. The 2AL is just a bit too big, and I've never been able to get a Schilke 60 to play in tune on a euphonium (too deep, I think).

If you want to play "real" euphonium parts with it, you may want to go a little smaller than the 3AL. My Doug Elliott mouthpiece is just a bit smaller than a 3AL and I use it when playing euphonium parts that require a lot of high register work.

I have not found the SM Wick mouthpieces to my liking. But you may have a different experience.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

6. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    If I were you, I would stick with a good euphonium mouthpiece and just get used to the two different sizes.
    Yes, this is what I do. I have a Houser "Blokepiece" Imperial for my "Bessophone" (Miraphone 186 with a Besson BBb bell) and a larger-than spec Bach 6 1/2 AL for my King bell-front American horn.

Different horn combinations having different characteristics will indicate different mouthpieces. I use Houser's 32.6mm (1.28 inch) Modified Helleberg Rim on my tuba; and when you measure the cup diameter of my 6 1/2, it is actually somewhere between 1.01 to 1.02 inches instead of the "spec" 1.00 inches, and the throat is more like their "Mega" throat than the stock throat, so it plays bigger than a typical 6 1/2 AL, more like a Wick 5-series diameter mouthpiece. Then again, I have the small receiver on my horn, so this is the appropriate match for me and my community band playing.

Your mileage will vary. You may have to experiment with to find a combination that works with your embouchure. I tried about two dozen tuba mouthpieces over the years and over a dozen different mouthpieces for my American horn before coming to this combination that works for me. I realize where you are that may be difficult, so you may have to go with one of the middle-of-the-road recommendations, depending on what is available where you live.
    Last edited by iiipopes; 07-10-2016 at 11:31 AM.

7. Thank you all for your kind words and advices

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I know in NY who plays both tuba and euphonium and he likes the Schilke 60 on euphonium. That's a huge mouthpiece for euphonium. It works for him but I think that's because he is used to playing tuba more.
    Hope this helps. Again, welcome to the forum.
    Thank you so much for your reesponse I forgot to mention that I tested a Yamaha Douglas Yeo (similar to schilke 60) and Roger Bobo Tenor Tuba but I only get unfocused sound, specially in the Roger Bobo, I think they are too big for me . Thank you so much again!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jrpetty24 View Post
    I don't know if this would help anyone else give you a recommendations, but just out of curiosity what size of tuba mouthpiece and size of tuba do you regularly play?

I would definitely give Schilke a good try, because I have always liked the fullness of the tone a schilke can produce. I've never explored their products as widely, but they are of good quality.

Experimentation is the name of the game sadly, it is hard to just give a perfect recommendation when I don't know how or what you play on a regular basis. Happy to answer any questions though.
    Thank you so much! I use a Brass Version of the Sidey SHH II for my Meinl Weston 45 F tuba and a Denis Wick Ultra Aaron Tindall N3 for my large CC 6/4 Holton 345. I think those are big Mouthpieces both Helleberg Style cups. I want to test the Schilke 51D, seems that lot of Euph pplayers use It and I am finding that not much People use the SMU I though that much Euuphonium players liked It much ( as here in Peru) "Heritable" hahaha They look horrible but they may work (hate their desing) Thank you!

9. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    First, I don't believe there is a tuba-size (or nearly that big) mouthpiece that will give you a true euphonium sound. If I were you, I would stick with a good euphonium mouthpiece and just get used to the two different sizes. If you can find a standard Wick 4AL I would give that a try. It feels a bit more open than the SM series, which might make it a better fit for a tuba player.
    Thank yous o much! Yes thats I think after playing in some "big euphonium mouthpieces" I dont want a Euphonium sound like a tiny tuba, I want a true euphonoum sound. will look forward in order to give a test to that Wick 4AL Thank you!

10. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I find that the Wick 3AL works best for me in this capacity. For example, it allows me to play both euphonium and tuba parts. The 2AL is just a bit too big, and I've never been able to get a Schilke 60 to play in tune on a euphonium (too deep, I think).

I have not found the SM Wick mouthpieces to my liking. But you may have a different experience.
    Thank you so much! yeah same with the Schilke 60 to me, cant play in tune and get a horrible sound ( for me) Once more, another euphonium player that don t like the SM mouthpiece, This is very interesting. thank you so much!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast