Thread: NEW YORK: need a repair shop in upstate NY that has experience with high end euphs?

NEW YORK: need a repair shop in upstate NY that has experience with high end euphs?

I play a Miraphone 1258 that I bought used several years ago. The pads were rubber and had softened and expanded due to the synthetic oil the previous owner had used. I called a repair shop in NJ that officially repaired Miraphones to get the pads replaced. He said they generally replaced them with felt pads and I shouldn't need to drive to NJ or ship the horn down there for pad replacements. I took the horn to a local shop and the pads were replaced. The valves functioned more crisply and were reasonably quiet but after a few days, the valve clanking began. I took the horn back and the repairman quieted the horn, gave me spare pads and suggested that when the noise began to replace the pads. This doesn't sound like an acceptable solution and I am looking for a repairman with some experience with high-end euphoniums.
    John Elliott
    Adams E1, .60 mm, sterling silver bell, brushed lacquer
    Mouthpiece--Griego 5, Denis Wick SM4U, Denis Wick 4AL

I grew up in upstate NY and generally the interpretation of "upstate NY" was pretty much anything north of Binghamton. You might want to narrow down the area a bit since there are probably places closer to you in NJ than some places in NY.

Ah, I see from your profile that you're in the Capital District. There's GOT to be someone in Albany or nearby that is competent. There are several schools around there with serious music programs. Try emailing one of the low brass players in the Albany Symphony and asking who they use?

(Aside: I see that the Albany Symphony percussionist is Dick Algabgli. He was a physics graduate student when I was an undergraduate at Rennselaer. I also played in the RPI orchestra with him. He has an M.S. in physics. I'm petty sure he was my lab instructor for one semester. Many years ago.)
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

You need a shop that is good with brass, hopefully with low brass. Most modern euphoniums use a synthetic pad instead of felt. Felt can "smash" down and harden. This causes more noise, of course, but it can also cause the valves to be misaligned. For that matter, you need to be sure the repair shop puts in the right size felts if that is what they use (for reasons of valve alignment).

You could probably order a replacement set from a Miraphone dealer. It's easy to install them, and you should not have worry about the other issues I mentioned.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. I'm assuming the shop you called in NJ was Dilllon Music, since they're the only official Miraphone dealer in the state.

It might be worth the road trip down there so they can see it in person, just in case there's some other issue with the valves besides the pads.

Thank you for your comments. I have found the Osmun repair shop near Boston and the Dillon shop in NJ. Both are about the same distance away. Will call Dillon first. I had gotten a repair shop from the Miraphone website and I also can only assume it was Dillon. When I contacted them they said they preferred have a Miraphone unit on hand to provide guidance in the replacing of the pads and at the time they did not have one on hand. I will start fresh with them, describe my situation and go from there. The Osmun site very clearly offers one day service as did Dillon when I contacted them.

I will keep the forum informed.

John Elliott
    John Elliott
    Adams E1, .60 mm, sterling silver bell, brushed lacquer
    Mouthpiece--Griego 5, Denis Wick SM4U, Denis Wick 4AL

Find someone who will order the proper OEM parts for you. Any sort of rubber component will break down with age, regardless of what kind of valve oil was used. I hate when shops think they can make do with what they have on hand. Felts used under the pistons like that will get waterlogged and become useless in a matter of hours.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by jelliott View Post
    I play a Miraphone 1258 that I bought used several years ago. The pads were rubber and had softened and expanded due to the synthetic oil the previous owner had used. I called a repair shop in NJ that officially repaired Miraphones to get the pads replaced. He said they generally replaced them with felt pads and I shouldn't need to drive to NJ or ship the horn down there for pad replacements. I took the horn to a local shop and the pads were replaced. The valves functioned more crisply and were reasonably quiet but after a few days, the valve clanking began. I took the horn back and the repairman quieted the horn, gave me spare pads and suggested that when the noise began to replace the pads. This doesn't sound like an acceptable solution and I am looking for a repairman with some experience with high-end euphoniums.
    I know this is an old thread but for anyone looking in NY I would recommend Abel Brass in Rochester, NY. Paul Abel's shop is located in close proximity to the Eastman School of Music he does repairs on most of the Student and faculty instruments, as well as many RPO musicians. He's been doing this a long time and is very skilled.

If you park your horn on it's bell, stop.

That is how all the oil/water gets into your pads.

DG

Can anyone recommend a low brass repair tech. In the North Jersey/Eastern PA/NY state triangle?
    I’d love to use Dillon’s but it’s tough to get to during the school year.

When I lived in PA I drove the three hours to Dillon to get my euph repaired and/or cleaned and it was well worth the trip. If you schedule with them in advance they may be able to do same day service so that you don't have to make multiple trips.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band