Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman Euphonium

1. Eastman Euphonium

Can anyone tell me something about the Eastman euphonium brand? I haven't heard much about it. Is it a Chinese horn? Or a less common non Chinese horn? Or is it a really good brand and that I've just been in the dark about? I'm especially interested in the 3+1 valve compensating horns. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I played one briefly at ITEC. It was made well and played roughly in line with the JP Sterling and Wessex horns I had just tried. But unfortunately I was pulled away by other business and could not really test it thoroughly.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER
    I can't comment on the playability;however, my local music shop tells me parts are hard to acquire, even valve guides.
    Yamaha 642-s Neo -- DE EUPH N102/I/I8
    Besson 757 -- DW 6BS

One of the bands I played in had a lady on an Eastman. I tried her horn out, and thought it was a very free-blowing euph.

I never did notice her having intonation problems against the rest of us, of course that might mean we were all off....

Just kidding.

Dennis
    One show at a time...

1966 Besson 181 New Standard highly modified Wick SM4 & 4AL
    1918 Hawkes & Son euph 3&1 original
    1917 Conn C/D/Eb mellophone original
    1915 York Bb tenorhorn original Bach 6.5AL
    1905 DeVries Bb saxhorn restored Bach 5GS

There was a pretty good discussion about the Eastman last year at the link below.

Eastman Compensating Revisited

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (excerpts)
    ; Raphael Hernandez, arr. Iwai from our Swing/Salsa concert 2018
    Video of above: El Cumbanchero:

I played and tested an Eastman 526s 3 months ago at the PMEA all state festival. It didn't really have an impact on me. I had a hard time getting the horn to speak, and I actually had to wait for the valves to come back up in certain passages. I'm not sure why, but the valves seemed properly oiled. It didn't really stand out for me.

They're Chinese made, but it's not just another Jin-Bao stencil. Eastman is set up to sell through traditional distribution channels. Eastman has their own factory. They have a US subsidiary for importing and marketing in California. They've had people like Matt Walters at Dillon Music and Steve Shires develop instrument designs for them, although this applies to tubas and trombones and not directly to euphoniums. I'd consider them a step or two above the normal Chinese makers in quality generally, although their prices are also a step or two above. Eastman also now owns Haynes and Shires, both in Massachusetts, which make some of the absolute best boutique flutes and trumpets/trombones.

I've tried out their euphonium and thought it played exceptionally well. I did not get a good comparison against other Chinese instruments nor did I have a chance to really examine the intonation, but I thought it had a nice dark sound and was easy to play, very responsive, and had good mechanicals.
    --
    Barry

I played one a few years ago at the tuba/euphonium workshop at Ft. Myer. Nice playing horn. I was in the market for a horn but not Chinese made. With many improvements today it might be a better option for some.

9. I recently acquired a student Eastman 3 valve euphonium model EEP321M. Eastman website did not show that model (with the M). Also the unit came with an additional slide, and I cannot figure out it's function or where it would be attached. Sorry - a real newbie here - originally an oboe player LOL.

Mary Ellen,

I'm not familiar with Eastman directly, but they seem to be a good brand making many horns that are copies of mainstream instruments. Consequently it is hard to figure out what an additional slide might do, especially one that does not seem to fit. Could you attach a few photos showing the horn from the front with the additional slide sitting beside the horn? That might give us a better guess.

My best guess for now is that it is not a slide, but rather a replacement leadpipe (the tube between the mouthpiece and the first valve) to let the horn point forward for a marching configuration (hence the "M" perhaps).

Yamaha adds an "M" to their model name in that way. See the large photo here:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...01m/index.html
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com