Thread: Euphoniums at ITEC 2016

Euphoniums at ITEC 2016

I just posted this on TubeNet and thought I should probably share it here as well!!

First the Adams, with which I'm most familiar, had 2 new experiences for me. The brought a prototype with valves that were top sprung (my suggestion) and short action. That was great fun to try. I love both ideas on the valves. It did not seem to play quite as freely as the normal Adams horns, but maybe that's the price you pay for the short action. Since I'm not a full-time player at this point, not to mention the years creeping up on me, a little help with valves is welcome. I also played the new E3 model. That has a different leadpipe and different shape to the large tubes and bell. Nice horn! It has a bit deeper sound (more gravitas?) and still feels as friendly as my own E1. I may consider switching to the E3, but I need to spend more time with one first.

Wessex front-valve compensating. As said already, it was less free in the compensating register. But it was a fun horn to play. It took me a minute to get used to the sound being close to my left ear instead of my right ear! I am excited about this horn, too, particularly if the Wessex folks can free up the low-register response. I've begun to think that the front valves are a little easier on the body because your arm is not stretching back. I did a tuning test on it, and overall it was as good as the Dolce, but with tendencies that were different in some ways. You can see the results here and compare with other models if you like:
    http://www.dwerden.com/Intonation/

Yamaha was an interesting experience. I mostly tried the 842, and I thought it played very well. The sound seemed more robust than the early models I tried (years ago); in any case it was a good sound. Response was very good. That was interesting, because the valve alignment was off! I talked to the reps about it, and they said that they ship from the factory with pads under the finger buttons that are too thick, but then when they are played for a month or so they tamp down and produce good alignment. I can't be totally sure, but I think that is the first time I have seen that. That fact that the horn played so well is a sign that the basic design is quite good and can withstand a little bump in the valve area.

I played briefly on the Besson horns. I was anxious to try the 967 because I had not played that one at previous shows (not enough to notice anyway). It is a very nice horn in their lineup. The trigger would be desirable on this horn, as it is on the Prestige, but my understanding is that Besson does not yet offer the trigger in the USA. Can anyone confirm or correct that? The valves on that horn were the most sluggish of the ones I tested, but I'm positive that was just the "display horn" problem. It just needed a wipe down and fresh oiling. I point that out not as a criticism of Besson at all, because it is pretty much thought by everyone that their valves are excellent. It is just something you should keep in mind as you are trying horns. Exhibits are NOT the place to judge valve quickness!

I played on the Willson saxhorn, and that was fun. It was quite different for me, as a "normal" euphonium player. The sound was very sweet, and would be a fine fit for some music... better than a euphonium. If one could own both a standard euphonium and one of these, I'm sure they would find a good use for the saxhorn. I also got some time to play the 2960. This was to double-check my opinion from the last ITEC. I think that model is my own personal favorite among the Willsons.

I played a bit on the Miraphone 5050 and thought it felt just like my memory said. It probably has the largest sound of the current horns, and it's a nice sound at that. It takes a bit more work to play, but it is still what I would call an easy-responder. It would not be my choice for recital work or chamber playing, but it would fit nicely with a large ensemble, I think.

I played very briefly on the JP Sterling 374 and the Eastman compensating euphonium. They both played nicely within the "clone" realm, but I was kept by other business from playing either as much as I wanted to. I can't even say which I liked better. Maybe next ITEC.

Baltimore Brass had an older Besson on display (medium shank, so before 1974). I was reminded what sweet horns these were in their days. The smoothness of response is not up to our current standards, and the sound is not as huge as we seem to want, but there is still that "magic" to the old Besson sound. If I had one sitting around, I'd probably play it at gigs now and then just for the fun of it.

As always, I play as many horns as I can so I understand the differences, plusses, minuses, etc. That was how I started to think about Adams in 2010/Tucson. After the rounds this year, I am still very sold on my choice of the Adams (in case anyone was wondering). But I have to say again that we are lucky ducks indeed to have so many fine choices. Of the pro horns I tried this year, I would not turn up my nose at any of them! There was not a dog among the pro horns I tried. My general advice is for serious players to try all the top brands, because not everyone will agree with my own choice. I see no reason to change that advice, or to tell anyone to save time by not trying one of them.

Let me take a minute to say that I appreciate all the vendors who came to ITEC. They give us a marvelous shopping opportunity and they help keep the event in the black. It's a real service (yes, profit-motivated, naturally) to have horns, equipment, music, etc. to check out. The folks at the exhibits seemed engaged and knowledgeable.

Along those lines, I just heard of another conference where the competitors who win prizes are given something like Monopoly money that they can use at any exhibit. What does everyone think of that idea? I would be a way for ITEC to further support the vendors, for one thing. But it means you can't sock it away in your college fund or your someday-horn fund.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Thanks for the informative post, Dave. And for once, I was there, too, to look around and try stuff. I have to agree with the part that there weren't any real dogs at the exhibits. I thought all the top line horns were good, and the "clones" were nice as well. I managed to hear a quartet (Opus 333) playing the Willson saxhorns in their exhibit area when I stopped in. Here is a link to that quartet:

https://www.facebook.com/Willson-157936864261889/

I agree with Dave here, too, that a saxhorn would indeed be a kick to have and play. They are just neat instruments.

I find it hard to believe that in all the years I have played, I never once blew one note on a Willson. That finally changed at ITEC as I tried several. Nice horns.

It is always a little risky to buy what you think is going to be your ultimate horn, then have so many nice horns to try and see if you made the right choice or not. For me, I am absolutely sure about my choice with the Adams, but there are indeed many fine brands and models out there.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 06-24-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

After doing my first A/B test between my 2280 and a Adams E3, I was impressed enough with it that i am in the process of adding a 5th valve to it. It will be a different take on a professional line instrument, but the king really is a great horn.

It's a shame Conn Selmer isn't interested in tweaking the line to appeal to professionals that aren't tied to the 3+1 system. You would think at the very least they could add a 12" bell and make it an mega upgrade option for the 3 million Yamaha 321's that are out in the public school system now. Those are situations where it just doesn't make since to get a $8000 compensating horn, and the 4 valves in a row would be appreciated

I had high hopes for the wessex as a 4 in a row horn, but until they tweak the low end if the horn, it's not ready for prime time

By the way, I doubt if any of you bothered playing it, but that 4 rotor oval euphonium that wessex brought was OUT OF SITE

Lord, that thing was fun to play

Dave, the front valve horn provides a certain amount of comfort when playing. I know when the old arthritis kicks in I reach for my old Conn 24I. The 4 valve rotor baritone/euphonium provides a little more comfort in having the rotor valves and as 56mark said is a lot of fun to play. (It also attracts a lot of attention as a WhatIzIt horn) Obviously no one horn will please everyone and that's why there are so many choices out there. I think our body chemistry, size and bone structure differs from person to person and gives us a different feel and sound on these horns.

Great review Dave!

I've heard that about Yamaha valve alignment before. Although true felts will tamp down some after a few months, having the alignment off from the start would hurt first impressions when trying out a new Yamaha.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    ...Although true felts will tamp down some after a few months, having the alignment off from the start would hurt first impressions when trying out a new Yamaha.
    I know! Surprised the heck out of me. Actually, I had sat down to do a tuning chart on the 842 when I discovered this. Because of the misalignment, I abandoned the task, not wanting to be unfair to the 842.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    By the way, I doubt if any of you bothered playing it, but that 4 rotor oval euphonium that wessex brought was OUT OF SITE

Lord, that thing was fun to play
    I played it. It was indeed fun. When I was stationed in Germany (during my commissioned officer days, way after my Army Band days), I joined a German "Oompah" band in the German town I lived in (Weiherhammer - near Grafenwoehr). I bought a side-winder (oval) just to play in this band, and it was a kick. I, too, really liked the Wessex Kaiser Baritone (4 rotor valve oval). Being used to a compensating horn, the intonation was a little sketchy in places, but what the heck, it was a really fun horn with a really nice sound. Would love to have that horn, but also want to keep my wife.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)