Thread: My ITEC 2016 Experiences - What Were Yours?

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

My ITEC 2016 Experiences - What Were Yours?

Went to ITEC 2016 in Knoxville (May 30-Jun 4) with wife Linda on our trusted steed (Harley Ultra Limited). Am writing this, so I must have survived the trip back home. A few observations and overall impression of the conference.

Got to meet and visit with Dave Werden which I was really hoping to be able to do. Also met and visited with Ernie Hite (a forum member) and wife Joan, which was also nice. Spent most of my visiting time with Dave at the Adams instrument display in the exhibit room. Also got to meet Miel Adams and Aaron Hunt from Adams music. Great folks! And several of the Adams artists were at the Adams display frequently, most notably who I saw were Fernando Deddos and Matt van Emmerik (and of course, Dave Werden is also an Adams artist and was there a lot). It was particularly fun just listening to these guys give all the horns a blow. And to listen to them chatter back and forth. I tried all the Adams (E1, E2, E3 and short-action E3 sample). The short-action horn was pretty impressive, and you could go as fast as greased lightning.

As for the exhibits - I was able to test blow all sorts of euphoniums. What fun. I have actually never played on a Willson, and got the chance here. Nice horn, but I will keep my new Adams E3 (I LOVE IT). Checked out the front action 4-valve compensating euphonium prototype "Festivo" by Wessex. Cool instrument, but sort of feels weird playing a front action compensating horn, who would have ever thunk? I have had several local friends ask me about buying my Wessex "Dolce" euphonium now that my Adams is here. But, no, not selling. I am keeping it because it is a great horn and may be the one I use in tight spots in the future (close quarters). If I did sell it, I might just buy the Wessex "Festivo" front action horn, it is really cool. Got to chat with Jonathan Hodgetts (Wessex owner) who is the chap I bought my Wessex from 6 months ago. Swell dude he is.

Ton and tons of music to buy here. Wish I had more carrying capacity, but then, that is probably why I rode the motorcycle, couldn't add much stuff before being overweight, and just spent a ton on a new horn. Mouthpieces, mutes, accessories, etc. also there. Nice exhibits and plenty of stuff to drool over for several days. Play testing horns wasn't as much of a fiasco as I would have imagined. I have heard percussion conferences are horrendous at the exhibits (drive by drummers) as well as trumpet conferences with everyone trying to play their highest note simultaneously. This one in Knoxville wasn't too hard on the head and ears.

Some of my favorite recitals/concerts were Fernando Deddos (euphonium, also plays monster piano). I had not heard him before, and he was awesome. Steven Mead, of course, his recital with his wife Misa, and his performance at the Saturday night closing concert. Tim Buzbee recital on tuba was extraordinary. I have not heard him before, he is a monster and what a great stage presence. Also the performance of the Australian Tuba/Euphonium quartet, which Tim Buzbee is a tuba player in. Matt van Emmerik was outstanding in several spots during the week, and is in the Australian Tuba/Euphonium quartet. Matt told me the other euphonium player in the group is 18, and the other tuba player besides Tim Buzbee is 19. They are growing exceptional players in Australia. Hoped to hear Martin Cochran (another Adams artist) on Friday, but he had to pull out with pneumonia, too bad. Wanted to hear and meet him. Heard the Navy and the Army Tuba/Euphonium quartets, and both were very good. I know I am getting old, I introduced myself to the Army Tuba/Euphonium quartet members and told them I was an alumni of The U.S. Army Band. None of them were born when I played there!! Also heard quite a few of the college ensembles who were outside in between recitals. The Saturday evening closing concert was spectacular. James Gourlay conducted the River City Brass Band. He was a hoot and the brass band was great. Four soloists capped the evening, and they were Steven Mead, Matthew van Emmerik, Neal Corwell and Aaron Tindall.

Had planned a trip to "Tail of the Dragon" (on a recommendation by Gary Merrill - forum member) about an hour and a half away to try my motorcycle riding skills on an awesome bike ride (one of the best in the world), but too much happening at ITEC, and the one day I might have been able to get away, it was raining like crazy. So, probably a good thing, as I am still alive and have some years remaining to play my beautiful Adams euphonium.

I wasn't overly thrilled with the Marriott (ITEC got a special rate there, but still over priced and nothing special). One good thing was shuttle service from the hotel to ITEC was outstanding, you never had to wait more than a couple minutes or so to get a ride. The shuttle was ITEC supplied, not Marriott, I think.

There was in reality way too much for any one human to be able to see all of. You had to pick and choose your recitals, classes, concerts, etc. that you wanted to attend, many times 2 things would be going on simultaneously. But plenty of world class talent to see and hear. If any of you have never been to this type of conference, I highly recommend it. This year set the record for attendance, they informed us. I think on the order of 1,200 or so. Pretty well run. Hope to do it again in the future.

Anyone from the forum there that I missed seeing? I think a few others said they were going, but Dave and Ernie are the only two I actually met and spoke with.

Let's hear about your experiences at ITEC (if there are any others...).
    Last edited by John Morgan; 06-12-2016 at 08:55 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I was there Monday and Tuesday,

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    I was there Monday and Tuesday,
    That is probably why I missed you. We arrived Tuesday afternoon and attended the Tuesday evening concert at the university. So, our paths probably never crossed.

That reminds me, at the Tuesday evening concert I asked my wife if she remembered the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and the great tuba part near the end. She said yes. I then told her the dude we were looking at and listening to at the Tuesday night concert (Jim Self) was "the dude" who recorded that for the movie. Pretty cool.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    James Gourlay conducted the River City Brass Band. He was a hoot and the brass band was great.
    I wasn't at ITEC this year, but I did get to play for Dr. Gourlay in the Association of Concert Bands Convention Band in Pittsburgh back in April. He was absolutely delightful to work with in those few short days. Besides a wonderful sense of humor, I was really struck by his rehearsal technique. He knew when to stop, what to repeat, and how to say just enough to get the band to fix its mistakes. It was a display of efficiency a lot of conductors (myself included) could learn from.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

I really appreciate a good conductor, and I think that most of the ones I've played with throughout my life have ranged from "adequate" to "excellent". When they slip below adequacy, I start to get really irritated and have left bands simply for that reason. On the other hand, there is a huge range of community bands in terms of the skills, backgrounds, goals, and habits of the people in them. Often they're eclectic collections of the retired, the elderly, the quite young (middle school or high school), the hearing impaired, academics, people who have demanding jobs, and the occasional psychotic.

Some of my favorites over the years:

1. An entire percussion section that's hard of hearing and can't keep a single tempo and beat.
    2. The retired IBM mid-level manager and low brass player who thought that everyone should do what he told them to (that had been his career for 30 years, or so he felt).
    3. An entire horn section that couldn't make entrances or play in tune (maybe this isn't so unusual).
    4. A fantastic euphonium player who was a senior American Airlines pilot and yet made almost every band rehearsal (and certainly every one he could).
    5. All the people who want to "just play through it" and "not spend time with all this tuning and rehearsal".
    6. A conductor whose approach was to "play through it" once, pronounce it "fantastic", and move on to the next piece.
    7. The ex-middle school band director who treated the entire band (MDs, high-level professionals, university faculty, public school teachers, ...) as though they were 8th graders.
    8. The (private) middle school band director who is one of the best conductors I've played under and who runs a New Horizons band.
    9. The very first band/orchestra director I played for in 6th grade and who -- I swear -- thought he was Napoleon Bonaparte.
    10. The guy who (a) continually selects one major piece to perform that is multiple levels above the competence of even the best players in the band, and then (b) at every rehearsal, hands out some new piece as well.
    11. The woman (supposedly trained in voice and percussion) who couldn't tell when people were in tune and when they weren't -- but didn't care and simply selected the most dissonant works she could find since she believed that tuning didn't matter in those.

I won't say that being a community band director is a thankless job (most get paid and they do get thanked and appreciated), but I think it's probably outrageously difficult and stressful on a continuing basis. The good ones are gems to be treasured (and tolerated, as necessary).
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    ...The (private) middle school band director who is one of the best conductors I've played under and who runs a New Horizons band...
    Gary, which New Horizons Band? I have been a part of the New Horizons Program for years and started and maintained the New Horizons International Music Association website for 10 years (don't like the look of it now, frankly). I also started 4 New Horizons groups, 2 of which were orchestras that I conducted. And I currently play in the New Horizons Band in Rapid City. I at one time knew just about all the conductors and more in the many groups. I can't tell from where you live which New Horizons group you may be referring to.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Duke University OLLI (Lifetime Learning) New Horizons Band. The band director is Jeff Zentner at Durham Academy Middle School. I played with them for only most of one year, but have remained in touch with Jeff intermittently since.

Of course, this is not your average middle school.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)