Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Settings on digital recorders?

Thanks. Good thoughts and tips. I can't imagine that a clip-on would work well, but since I have one, I'll try it!

The USB->phono adapters I ordered are apparently coming from somewhere in China. They should be here next week.

I kind of wonder if after all of this I could as easily have used my Panasonic digital meeting recorder (with the good mic). I guess I'll experiment with that as well. That provides a VERY portable (1"x4" clip-on-or-in-pocket) digital recorder.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I kind of wonder if after all of this I could as easily have used my Panasonic digital meeting recorder (with the good mic). I guess I'll experiment with that as well. That provides a VERY portable (1"x4" clip-on-or-in-pocket) digital recorder.
    You could always try it, but I suspect it uses auto level control always, which may produce results that are confusing.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

So, I finally had a chance to break out my DR-40 and do some test recording. I've got a page up on my site with the raw audio and processed audio to get close to what I think I sound like: http://adrianquince.com/euphonium-test-recordings

I learned a few of things in the process:

1. Room size matters (as Dave said). This was a 12' x 12' home office with 8' ceilings. A large part of my processing was an attempt to get the "boxy" sound out of the raw audio.

2. It's hard to deepen the sound while still keeping the overtones clear. I ended up finding a compressor that would bring out the lows and mids, so in the EQ step I actually had to enhance the highs.

3. Get the rattles in the room under control. Hopefully it doesn't come through too much on the recording, but I couldn't figure out what in the world was rattling in the office.

4. Warm up thoroughly before trying to record. I didn't have as long of a practice session as I would have liked to do these in, so there are definitely signs in my playing of not being totally warm.

Hopefully this sheds some light on what's possible with a portable recorder.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12