Thread: Top action vs. Front action - Wessex

Top action vs. Front action - Wessex

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a 4 valve compensating euphonium and am 98% sure on purchasing a Wessex Dolce after receiving many nice suggestions from other forum members here. While going through their website and facebook page, I found out they are introducing a front action euphonium sometime this year. My daughter uses a front action at school and says it's more comfortable than her home instrument which is top action.

My questions is, is this just personal preference or is there any difference that I should be aware of? During my search, I found that front action euphoniums are hard to find, why is that? Does it affect the sound or is it more awkward to play etc? Is she going to grow out of it? She'll need to use this for at least 5 years.

Lastly, is it wise to purchase a newly introduced model (like electric cars and plasma tvs - is it going to take a few batches for them to figure out the kinks?)

I'm sorry if my questions are too elementary, I'll be grateful for your input! Thank you.

Hi Dmom,

If you're looking for a 4-valve compensating euphonium, your only real choice right now is top action. All of the front-action instruments you find (unless it's by Willson*) will be non-compensating.

One of the euphoniumists I work with regularly has a Wessex Dolce and loves it, so I don't think you'll go far wrong with that instrument.

*The Willson front-action compensating euphonium is both rare and expensive. Wessex is working on a similar design (Jonathan Hodgetts has posted prototype photos here in the forums), but we don't know when it will be out yet.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

3. The new Wessex front-action compensated euphonium, EP104 'Festivo' is expected available late November or December. The prototype is available to try at ITEC this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	4033

Demand for the Dolce euphonium is so high that apart from a couple of lacquer examples, the arriving June shipment has already sold out with next silver or silver/gold examples available August.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 06-02-2016 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Picture
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

4. Front action compensating? Cool..sign me up!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    The new Wessex front-action compensated euphonium, EP104 'Festivo' is expected available late November or December. The prototype is available to try at ITEC this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	4033

Demand for the Dolce euphonium is so high that apart from a couple of lacquer examples, the arriving June shipment has already sold out with next silver or silver/gold examples available August.

I tested the Festivo prototype (front-action) and it played well. It's maybe not quite as easy to play in the 4th valve register, but it's still fine. Ergonomics seems fine in the short testing I did. It takes some getting used to, because you're hearing the sound from the other ear. I believe Jonathan will be modifying it slightly based on feedback from ITEC. For one thing, I think the 1st valve slide could stand to be shortened a bit.

I ran a tuning graph of the Festivo and it looked good - different from the Dolce, but in the same range roughly as far as overall accuracy. I'm enthused that this will be an option for players.

You can click the Dolce and Festivo to compare them here (you can see from the Festivo graph that a shorted 1st slide would help it, so I assume the production model will be a bit better):

http://www.dwerden.com/Intonation/
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Dave, thank you for the feedback on the Festivo and the intonation chart. We will indeed be shortening the 1st valve slide and making changes to the 4th valve loop as a result of feedback. I am now at factory and that is on my agenda for this week.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Is the bore size in the 4th valve the same as 1-3? Even on the king with all 4 valves in a row, the bore takes a small jump for the 4th valve. I could measure mine too see how much of a jump if you would like.

8. Bore increases from 0.59" for valves 1-3 to 0.66" in 4th valve on the Festivo.

A re-routing of the 4th valve tubing was agreed in meeting at factory today without previous loop and with wider curves.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 06-12-2016 at 08:05 AM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page