Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conn Naked Lady 3-Valve Euphonium

Conn Naked Lady 3-Valve Euphonium

How good is a Conn Naked Lady 3-Valve Euphonium for about $350 with minnor dents

Just as good as any vintage Conn 3-valve euphonium, but with a nice engraving.

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64647

Personally, I think if you are looking for a vintage 3-valve horn, this would be a very nice price if it is really in good condition.

Agreed - that is a good price, assuming the valves are good and you don't see evidence of any tubing damage (other than minor denting), such as holes, really bad soldering someplace, etc. Even those may not be dis-qualifiers, but you'd want to move cautiously.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

If you don't mind a uniformed man engraving instead of a naked lady, this Pan American 3-valve is an outstanding buy at $250:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Pan-Ame.../322123494900?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. Without more detail, I have a hard time answering the original poster. The "Naked Lady" is just an engraving used over a certain period of years. It was applied to a number of different models. If the horn in question is a 4 valve, with good finish, good compression, and has a removeable bell, then $350 is a good price. If it is a 3 valve with solid bell (front) and worn valves, then it is not so much.

I agree with Dave that the Pan American is exceptionally nice. I had a 1932 Pan American 56I (bell and valves up) that I donated to Charley Brighton, in the UK. It was an old beater that I had fixed up in 1974 when I got out of college. It had metal patches, replated valves of questionable quality, and lacquer finish that had quite a bit of wear. Notwithstanding, the horn played well, in tune, and had a wonderful singing sound.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

1937, 3 valve, removeable bell, original valves

7. From the Conn Loyalist website,

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle43.html

"Naked Lady. There is no Naked Lady model. "Naked Lady" refers to the style of engraving that often appeared on the instruments. In spite of persistent rumor to the contrary, Dr. margaret Downie-Banks, an acknowledged expert on all things Elkhart-Conn, insists that the presence or absence of a so-called "Naked Lady" engraving or the degree of naked-ness has absolutely no relation to the instrument in terms of quality or otherwise. These "Naked Lady" engravings are usually found on "Standard" series saxophones, hence the incorrect idea that the engraving signifies that model and/or a better built instrument. The Naked Lady engraving can also frequently be found on Conn euphoniums and sousaphones, but only very rarely on Conn cornets, trumpets or trombones of the same period."

8. Greetings all. I just purchased one of these and am curious about the best mouthpiece. Any ideas? Thanks.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard III View Post
    Greetings all. I just purchased one of these and am curious about the best mouthpiece. Any ideas? Thanks.

Richard
    The go-to mouthpiece for instruments like this would be the Bach 6-1/2AL. If you want a little larger mouthpiece, I would not go larger than a Bach 5G.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

10. Thanks. I just want to get the correct shank and corresponding best response out of the old horn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast