Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conn Naked Lady 3-Valve Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard III View Post
    Thanks. I just want to get the correct shank and corresponding best response out of the old horn.
    Ah, then you want a small shank (i.e. "tenor trombone") mouthpiece.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. I thought I would give some feedback on mouthpieces. First let me say that I've played trumpet and french horn for a long time. I stumbled on a euphonium video and was fascinated. I have a friend with a vintage Conn 64I baritone with the "naked lady." So when one popped up on Ebay for cheap, I bought it. Mine is from the middle 1930's and needed a tremendous amount of repairs. My friend plays a Schilke 42 mouthpiece on his so I ordered one and began using it. I also ordered a Bach 6 1/2AL clone (Blessing) from WWBW. That started a very long process due to it getting lost in the male. I also ordered a Steven Mead Wick SM9 baritone mouthpiece. Now keep in mind I've been playing this horn for one month approximate.

So here is the initial report. The Steven Mead baritone mouthpiece is somewhat like a Wick cornet mouthpiece. Similar design with a V shaped cup. It is slightly smaller in diameter than the Bach 6 1/2AL clone and has the same bore. Interesting that they both have longer shanks than the Schilke 42 that I've been using. The Schilke is 2mm smaller in diameter and has a smaller bore also. Its cup shape is also more V shaped.

Playing the Steven Mead. It is very sure footed and makes transitions easier. But it is a little woofy in sound and much more work to play in the upper range. The Schilke is also a little woofy in sound. One of the things I've had issues with when playing it. The smaller bore makes upper range easier but lower range can get blatty in sound. The Bach clone has a more bowl shaped cup. Its sound is mellow but not at all woofy. Pretty comfortable rim and it sounds the same low to high. I think I'm going to stay with it for a while and see how it goes. Interesting is that though the bore ties for the largest of the group, air management is not a problem. The Steven Mead sucks it out of me. I think the cup shape is the factor in this. The Bach clone is also quite a bit cheaper than the others.

I just spent a practice session playing only the Bach clone. I must say thank you for the recommendation. Runs from the bottom of the range to the top are much easier and the sound is exactly what I was hoping for. It is much more resonant than the other mouthpieces and is clearly the winner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12