Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me decide!

Oh I should add that initially when I asked the teacher, I asked about the 3 valve Jupiter so she said if she's going to continue in high school, get the 4 valve, if not, the Jupiter 3 valve is fine and then she said she wants her to move to 12C so she probably meant to the 12C for the 3 valve option. My daughter uses 5G with her home instrument. Don't know what she uses at school. The Wessex says it comes with a mouth piece, not sure what..
    Last edited by Dmom; 05-27-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Hi Dmom,

Here's the basic concept on the way mouthpiece sizes work for most manufacturers: The bigger the number, the smaller the mouthpiece. (Schilke and Yamaha are the opposite, but Dave's mouthpiece chart could help you make comparisons.)

In terms of what size to use, the mouthpiece size depends on both the player and the instrument. A huge mouthpiece paired with a small bore horn will be tough to play since the mouthpiece will be giving the horn too much air. Likewise, a small mouthpiece on a large bore horn will be tough to play since not enough air will make it through the mouthpiece to the horn.

Here's a quick summary on the mouthpiece sizes talked about on the thread so far:

12C - Student mouthpiece for trombone, generally too small for euphonium (but often used as a starter because it's "easy")
    6 1/2 AL - Good starter mouthpiece for euphonium. Often perfectly fine on small-bore horns, but probably a little limiting on a large bore instrument.
    5G - Symphonic trombone mouthpiece used by many professional trombonists. Can provide an excellent sound for some euphoniumists, while others with stronger approaches to the instrument might find it limiting.
    4AL (Denis Wick) - This is the default starting place for a large bore euphonium, in my experience.

If your daughter is comfortable on the 5G at home, I think that would make a logical starting point for her on a new instrument if you're going to go with a large bore, 4-valve compensating euphonium.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Quote Originally Posted by adrian_quince View Post
    If your daughter is comfortable on the 5G at home, I think that would make a logical starting point for her on a new instrument if you're going to go with a large bore, 4-valve compensating euphonium.
    I think that you'll find that most euphonium players will agree with Mr. Quince's comments and excellent advice.

When I got back to Euphonium after playing horn and trumpet for about a three decades (long story since Euphonium actually paid for College), I wasn't sure how well I'd still play after the lapse, so I didn't want to invest in a high priced top of the line model until I was certain that I could still play up to the horn. I honestly believe that too much horn is like trying to teach someone to drive on a Ferrari. I started back in with a Nirschl I-700 (4 valve, Non-compensating) and I was pleased with everything about it-certainly so for the price ($1100.00 new 5 yrs ago). I found it to be free-blowing, in tune throughout the registers, and it had a nice fat sound with a Schilke 51 series mouthpiece, though it usually comes with a knock-off Bach 5GS (which is what I use now in a Bach gold heavyweight.) Now, the I-700 is a large bore like most 4 valve horns, so if you're buying, you will need to pay attention to the bore size listed on whether it's regular "trombone/tenor" or large-bore (stay away from medium/Europeans unless you're a purist or something). Most 3-valve's are regular size if she needs that because of her size, though I will say that when I first stated on Baritone in Junior High I may have weighed all of 100lbs-you can get physically used to larger horns pretty fast. I do believe that if she's serious, the sooner that she transitions to at least a 4-valve, the better off she'll be, though I'm not a big fan of "step-up" horns. I do agree that most band music (even the grand old classics) rarely go below a low concert "F" (1&3 below the staff), so unless she's into solo work or going to major in the horn, a really solid, non-compensating, 4 valve may be all she needs for her "career". If she does get more serious about the horn, then, unfortunately, you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and get the "professional" model (4 valve, Compensating, possible thumb trigger-the works) but that probably a ways off. There are still a couple of those Nirschl 700's for sale out there though you will have to look (google them "for sale"). If it doesn't work out for her, I've never been able to sell a slightly used horn, regardless of pristine condition, without taking a bath on what I shelled out for it originally, so used is always a viable option if you can get some form of return policy on it. I have a Wessex Dolce on order to serve as a back-up for the York I play now and while I was afraid of chinese, I hear nothing but good things about them. So that may be an inexpensive option down the line. Mine should arrive with the June shipment and I'll happily post here the results of the eastern experiment.

Richard H. Durham
    Principal/Soloist Charlottesville Municipal Band, Orange County Community Band
    York Preference, (awaiting the Wessex Dolce)
    (Recovering Trumpet and French Horn Player)

Thank you all for such helpful advice. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to write their detailed opinions. While I do worry that the Wessex might be too much for her initially, I will go with her teacher's advice on a 4valve compensating and Wessex seems to be the best option. She'll just have to work really hard and rise up to the instrument! =)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123