Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide!

A middle school player is absolutely ready for four valves. A really excellent middle school player could be ready for a large compensating instrument.
    --
    Barry

If you want to go to a 4-valve compensating horn, here is Jean Baptiste model in silver. Seems to be in really good shape. The case has wheels, which might come in handy. The silver could use a good polishing, but I'll bet your student would be glad to do that!

It is $800 (the buy-it-now price):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jean-Baptist...-/252403617099

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	4029
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Another option I have not seen mentioned is an older used Besson 3-valve compensating, like this:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...h#.V0gu0t_2Zg4

The down-side is an older horn like this would likely require a good cleaning and possibly a few other things, but these horns have a beautiful sound, are built like tanks--and if she is only going to play a few years, it is likely that you can resell for same or more when the time comes. I think resale value on economy intro-level horns probably is not nearly as good.

Her teacher said she should get a 4 valve compensating one so I'm now looking at those. She says Yamaha is best generally but they are sooo expensive. This Jean Baptiste looks good and so does the Wessex Dolce. I would prefer to not look at something too old because I wouldn't even know what needs to be done to it or even where to take it to. Since the price difference is not too large, I wonder if it's better to get the Wessex? She also said she would want her switch to a 12C mouthpiece soon? I assume these are all interchangeable??

If you are thinking "compensating" then I'd go with the Wessex. It is a fine choice.

A 12C is very small cup for a compensating horn, though. The Wessex (and most compensating horns) use a large shank mouthpiece (bass-trombone sized shank), and I don't think there is a large-shank version with the 12C cup.

A 6-1/2AL is a standard starter mouthpiece for a horn like this, and that can be had with a large shank. Here is a chart showing the sizes you can probably find in large shank:

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/t...-euphonium.cfm
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Hmm. Someone using a 12C mouthpiece is not ready for a compensating instrument IMO.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Hmm. Someone using a 12C mouthpiece is not ready for a compensating instrument IMO.
    I would tend to agree, but it is hard to have a 4-way discussion here (player, teacher, mom, us-all). The student wants to move to a 12C, so I assume she is using something smaller now??? I would think the teacher would have been the one encouraging the 12C, but maybe that is what is happening. In any case, I would consider it a stopover mouthpiece, so don't spend a lot on the 12. The other choice would be to jump to a 6-1/2AL and the Wessex at the same time. After all, some kids switch to tuba from euphonium, which is a much bigger jump. Mostly, though, I think the 12 and a compensating horn are not a match made in Heaven. That's probably partly why it is so hard to find a 12 cup with a large shank.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Here is an inexpensive 6-1/2AL equivalent:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Tromb...-/322124081358
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I think it was the teacher who wanted the student to switch to a 12C mouthpiece from what I read of Dmom's post. I would tend to disagree with that idea (12C mouthpiece), especially with a 4-valve compensating horn. Wessex is an excellent choice, and you really won't find more instrument for such a small price new. It does come with a mouthpiece, although I don't know the size, but I do know it is a large shank mouthpiece. Probably on the order of a "4" sized Denis Wick mouthpiece. The teacher in this case may not even be aware of what is out there; her statement that Yamaha is generally best tells me she is not well versed in euphoniums (Yamahas are certainly good instruments, but "generally best" is a very subjective statement, considering how many good euphonium brands there are). There is probably more awareness of what is available for your daughter right here on this forum, however, a really good, knowledgeable teacher can be an invaluable resource for students in determining what horn/mouthpiece they may or may not be ready for.

Not knowing any more of the circumstances, I would recommend a large shank 6 1/2AL or a Wick 4AL.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-27-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thank you all for your great advice. Yes, the band teacher is recommending that she should go to 12C. My daughter started 6 months ago and only teaching she receives is at her school (she gets a brass section teacher different from her band teacher at school who I don't personally know) so yes she is definitely a beginner but I'm happily shocked that the brass elephant that showed up in the fall is actually sounding like music now so we are all happy with how its moving along. I don't imagine that she'll study music in college, but would like for her to continue through high school so something she can use for the next 5 years (for school) and beyond (recreational purposes). Sounds like Wessex can't be beat, hopefully its not too much for her to handle for the next year.

The band teacher's main instrument is the Oboe so I agree the vast knowledge from this forum has definitely been very helpful and probably more deep than what she would care to consider as she has the whole band to deal with. Originally the idea was to just replace her 3-valve home instrument so we don't keep paying the rental fee but she only has one more year of middle school left, it probably makes sense to get the 4-valve, otherwise, I'll be doing this again in a year so that's probably what I'll do and go with the Wessex and figure out this mouth piece issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast