Thread: Goff Richards

Goff Richards

Evening,

Having put a recording of a relatively unheard of piece of light brass band music on Soundcloud - Calling Cornwall by Goff Richards, got me thinking if there have been any composers for band that have written such consistently excellent parts? I especially like the euphonium part to this piece, and I doubt if there will be recording that surpasses this one.... https://soundcloud.com/simon-phillip...lling-cornwall

I would welcome your views and recommendations!
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

2. Goff Richards is fantastic. I love playing just about anything by him. He passed away too young...
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    That piece is excellent, both from a composition viewpoint and a performance viewpoint.

Simon: Is that the fellow whose euphonium you bought playing at the start? Are you playing in this group? Really sounds fine. Wish upon wish there were a brass band near where I live to play in. I was snowbirding a little bit in Las Vegas that past couple of years, and played a little bit with the Las Vegas Brass Band. What a kick that was.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thank you so much for that link. I enjoyed listening to that piece far more than I though I would!!
    Steve Petrangelo
    Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (trombone/treasurer)

Thank you guys. Yes the solo euphonium in that recording is a gent by the name of Steve Thomas, who is a truly wonderful euphonium player, and currently enjoying a recess from playing, which is disappointing. Great, great player.

Incidentally there are a couple of other exampls of ST playing on my meagre uploads - Wolverine Wooing which made me giggle - comedy top g (or F for you realists) vibrato which seems perfect for the march, and the Resurgam which isn't a good performance but there are some classy euphonium moments, most noticeably midway through a beautiful recovery after blobbed entry and a sticking valve.... I wish I could put off mistakes so easily!

Richards truly understood the singing quality of the euphonium and voiced it beautifully in much of his music. I've had the good fortune to play many of his compositions and arrangements over my brass band career. One of the his very best arrangements is A Disney Fantasy. The recording by the Brass Band of Battle Creek is my favorite.

Philip Sparke also writes wonderful euph parts.