Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Russian marches and waltzes

1. Here's my favorite old Russian March in minor 'Homesickness'.*
    Two versions - traditional and modern. In the modern version I don't like the arrangement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9cDxjvVRQM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sOr84ZKuYZg

Well, there's a lot of room for personal taste here, I suppose. Personally, what I like about Russian music is it's fundamental -- for lack of a better term -- Russian-ness. And I don't seem to find that in the German-ized, French-ized, Vienna-ized renditions of it. For example, I think the "Recollection Waltz" («Вальс Воспоминание») is an unfortunate watering down of the original Gypsy «Очи чёрные» -- to the point that I almost don't recognize the tune. I suppose the "Recollection Waltz" is better designed for playing on a piano and for hearing in salons. But it simply doesn't have the emotional weight of «Очи чёрные».

(Full disclosure: I have a kind of love/hate relationship with «Очи чёрные» since at one time I was required to be able to sing at least the first two verses from memory in Russian -- and I reallly don't sing well. I continue to admire people who can deliver it with the Gypsy passion it deserves.)
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

3. The author of 'Recollection waltz' (Вальс "Воспоминание") is Archibald Joyce from the United Kingdom.

This waltz I do not like also. Old Russian Waltz ' Amur waves" a lot better. (IMHO)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jBMIwTHEFQw

Yes, that is a beautiful Waltz.

Quote Originally Posted by Trombo View Post
    The author of 'Recollection waltz' (Вальс "Воспоминание") is Archibald Joyce from the United Kingdom.
    This has been a bit confusing. Archibald Joyce was not a Russian composer, but (as you say), a British composer who apparently was marketed as "The Waltz King" (though I thought that title went to Strauss). He seems to have no relation to Russian music at all except that a couple of Russian orchestras on occasion played a couple of his waltzes. I can't find any mention of his ever composing something called the "Recollection Waltz" except for a couple of attributions which may simply be errors. He DID compose a "Remembrance" waltz, and so it seems likely that "Recollection" is just a sloppy English->Russian->English translation. My Russian dictionary isn't handy at the moment and I can't check how accurate that translation would be. However, the Google translator translates "remembrance" as <<память>> and "recollection" as <<сосредоточенность>>, whereas <<bоспоминание>> is translated as "memory". So there does appear to be some infelicitous translation going on here.

On the other hand, the waltz know to RUSSIANS as the "Recollection Waltz" is in fact «Очи чёрные» under another name. See here: http://www.talesfromthekeyboard.com/...ark-eyes-waltz. Hence my confusion. And again with regard to the original posting, this "Remembrance Waltz" is NOT in fact an "Old Russian" waltz but an old English waltz. It's just being played in this case by a (fairly) old Russian band. It's just not Russian music.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

6. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    This strikes me as excellent Russian military bands playing rather silly German waltzes and march music..
    Interesting metamorphosis. Are you started be proud of this music?
    Last edited by Trombo; 05-31-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    This has been a bit confusing. Archibald Joyce was not a Russian composer, but (as you say), a British composer who apparently was marketed as "The Waltz King" (though I thought that title went to Strauss). He seems to have no relation to Russian music at all except that a couple of Russian orchestras on occasion played a couple of his waltzes. I can't find any mention of his ever composing something called the "Recollection Waltz" except for a couple of attributions which may simply be errors. He DID compose a "Remembrance" waltz, and so it seems likely that "Recollection" is just a sloppy English->Russian->English translation. My Russian dictionary isn't handy at the moment and I can't check how accurate that translation would be. However, the Google translator translates "remembrance" as <<память>> and "recollection" as <<сосредоточенность>>, whereas <<bоспоминание>> is translated as "memory". So there does appear to be some infelicitous translation going on here.

On the other hand, the waltz know to RUSSIANS as the "Recollection Waltz" is in fact «Очи чёрные» under another name. See here: http://www.talesfromthekeyboard.com/...ark-eyes-waltz. Hence my confusion. And again with regard to the original posting, this "Remembrance Waltz" is NOT in fact an "Old Russian" waltz but an old English waltz. It's just being played in this case by a (fairly) old Russian band. It's just not Russian music.
    Yes, "recollection" and "remembrance" are both translations of vospaminanie. BA in Russian.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

8. Here is old Russian waltzes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CY298YD2kZw

It's "The USSR Defence Ministry Band".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12