Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ITEC 2016 May 30 - June 4 - Who's Going?

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

ITEC 2016 May 30 - June 4 - Who's Going?

Howdy all euphers and tubists!!

My wife, Linda, and I are packing up our Harley Ultra Limited for an exciting trip to Knoxville in a little over two weeks. No horn, but a mouthpiece or two to try out all the horns at the vendors just for fun. Still waiting on my Adams E3 due around now or June.

I feel like I almost know some of you from the conversations on the forum (Thanks, Dave!!). I plan to arrive there on Tuesday, May 31st, so I will miss the first day. But will be there until the end, the final concert should be great!

Who all is going? What are the top 2 or 3 things you are going to see or attend at ITEC? Right now for me, the final concert on Saturday will be a not miss event and visiting the vendors about 25 times will be near the top of my list. What euphonium players are a must see for you?

Hope to see (and meet in person) a lot of you there. I will be the guy that looks older than dirt.

Here is a link to the ITEC Conference on-line: http://www.iteaonline.org/conferences/ITEC2016/ . You can see the schedule there. Conspicuously absent from the exhibitors is Besson (Buffet). Hope they decide to attend, but at this late date, it seems doubtful if they haven't already decided to come.

John
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-10-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Probably see you there!

Naturally I'll be visiting lots of booths, too, in addition to trying plenty of Adams variations. Might have to look at mutes, for one thing, and if Doug Elliott is there I will certainly want to talk to him. Will also try to look at the new Wessex samples. And I'll try to update and extend my tuning graphs as well among a few other brands and models (boy, is that tedious, though!!).

One highlight for me will be Steve/Misa Meads' recital (Fri or Sat a little after noon, I think). He says he is playing the Capriccio di Niccolo, which I had suggested to him shortly after making the video below. I'm anxious to hear someone with stronger chops that I have play the thing! And getting the British perspective is also interesting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h262RgU9puE
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Great playing, Dave, on Capriccio di Niccolo!! I, too, am looking forward to hearing both Meads. He has been very gracious and in the past has sent me some music on a couple occasions. I hope to finally meet him in person, you too!
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

I'll be there there Monday and Tuesday.

If you see a 6 foot 8 guy with a salt and pepper goatee, say hi

I attended my first ITEC in 2014 in Bloomington, Indiana and had a wonderful, though expensive time. (I bought an Adams euphonium there.) I attended recitals by talented artists from 9AM to 10PM everyday. My wife and I will be at the 2016 ITEC from Monday thru Saturday.
    Artists I especially look forward to hearing are Marc Dickman, Joe Dollard and David Bandman playing jazz euphonium at the Knoxville Marriott on Wednesday night. Recitals by Matt Tropman, Martin Cochran, Tormond Flaten, Fernando Deddos, and Fletcher Mitchell (for his artistic performance of interesting compositions from "down under") sound interesting and as do so many others.....
    I am hoping to see forum members to say thanks for your informative answers to questions I have posted. (I am 6'4" 66 years old with a pot belly and answer to Ernie. So say hi!)

Let's see, 58mark (I guess your name is Mark?) is 6'8" and Ernie is 6'4" and I guess both of you are in your 60's. Well, I am a shrimp at about 6', in my sixties, and answer to John (or anything else my wife chooses to call me). She, by the way, is Linda, and is half a shrimp at a mighty 4'11". Dave has got to be in his 60's, not sure of his stature, but am sure of his great playing prowess. After looking at all the display horns, hearing recitals and concerts, maybe we can all get together and figure out which old folks home looks attractive to us.

I am staying at the Knoxville Marriott, too, and look forward to unwinding with the music in the late evenings.

Ernie: Check out Matthew van Emmerik, too. He is an Adams Artist and owns perhaps the 1st Adams E3 Euphonium made, with full bell engraving. I MUST see him as the horn I am having made by Adams is almost exactly the one he has. Plus, he plays pretty darn good.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-11-2016 at 09:22 PM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

John Morgan wrote: "After looking at all the display horns, hearing recitals and concerts, maybe we can all get together and figure out which old folks home looks attractive to us."
    Ah gosh, another reason I'm going to miss attending this event in Lexington. (I'm 69 )

I was hoping to be able to attend this one, but something came up. Hope everyone has a great time.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I'll be at the Imani Winds Symposium in St. Paul, MN. Have fun.

Rick, I'll be 69 this year, too, so much closer to 70 than 60 unfortunately. Too bad you can't make it, was looking forward to meeting you!

Ken, now why would you want to go to the Imani Winds when you can hear world class euphoniums and tubas? Just kidding, of course, the Imani Winds are great.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast