Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ITEC 2016 May 30 - June 4 - Who's Going?

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Let's see, 58mark (I guess your name is Mark?) is 6'8" and Ernie is 6'4" and I guess both of you are in your 60's. .

i'm 46, but some days I feel 60

Well, you may as well hop on that bike, take it through Deals Gap once or twice, and then head up to GABBF (June 2 - June 5) in Danville KY -- which is where my wife and I will be.

Okay, I can't really recommend Deals Gap on a Harley, but people do it -- slowly. But you'll be SO close to Deals Gap -- you HAVE to do it, if you haven't already. You can't come that close to Deals Gap -- AKA "the tail of the dragon", and not do it!

318 curves in 11 miles.

At the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort (which used to be the "Crossroads of Time Motel"), do not be deterred by the big tree with motorcycle parts hanging on it. Those just represent the unskilled and excessively foolish. Also, don't pay much attention to the pictures of the sheriff deputy's car nose down off that drop-off. The deputy was quite severely reprimanded for trying to chase that bike through the gap.

It's one of the great rides of the world, and the views are fantastic -- when you stop in the pullouts and overlooks; you don't actually want to look at the view while you're going through the gap on the road.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    I'm 69 and some days I feel like 46 -- but not so often any more.
    Gary Merrill
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Gary, hmmmmm, have not heard of Deals Gap before. Just looked it up. Wow!! Now then, I am a retired Army guy, trained killer, airborne qualified, helicopter pilot, fearless! But I must say, that might make me be a bit careful. The Harley Ultra is a handful for this old guy, I have to be especially careful riding it, not so much on the open road, but in the twisties and when going slow. But, darn it, you have just put an idea in this old noggin, and Deals Gap is pretty darn close to Knoxville.

If Linda and I decide to do that little piece of highway, I need to find out who wants my almost done, fully paid for Adams E3 Euphonium.

Wish we could make the Great American Brass Band Festival, but we already made arrangements with old friends to meet in Branson, MO right after ITEC. That is if we are still alive after Deals Gap!!!
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-11-2016 at 05:43 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

It's probably been close to 15 years since I've done the gap. I've done it a different times on:

• Kawi ZX-6 -- not bad, but it's actually more difficult on an inline 4 than a twin.
    • Honda VTR-1000 (this is the street version of the track bike, so a V-twin. 60 degree V) -- great bike; amazing torque; very good on those tight curves going up and down the mountain; great engine braking.
    • BMW R1100R (this is the 180-degree opposed twin) -- best of the lot for the gap; the cantilever front suspension is astonishing in the mountains and the big twin delivers absolutely smooth power through its range with good engine braking.

My wife has done it several times on:

• GSXR-750 -- what's to say? Not the best mountain bike; seriously over-powered; but she's always been a bit crazier than me on a bike.
    • SV-650 -- great little bike; another V-twin (with aftermarket suspension).

The only problem with taking the larger "cruiser" and (non-BMW) road bikes through there is that with the lean angles involved you tend to do a lot of footpeg scraping. But people do it on big Harleys and Goldwings. If you don't try to set speed records (and just let all the 600-class bikes go by you), it can be nice and not terror-inducing. Just something to consider.

We don't ride any longer. Stopped about six years ago because it's just too dangerous around here with crazy drivers on their cell phones.
    Gary Merrill

Gary,
    I'll also be at GABBF...let's make sure to get together...the Hub is a great coffee house and there are a few places for more adult beverages and dinner, I'm sure. We're also going to spend some time in Berea, which is a nice kinda artsy place and home to Berea College.
    FWIW, My age and IQ are both 64, and I'm 6'2", answering equally to "N9EJR," "-. ----. . .--- .-./--..--" "Jim," "Snorlax," "Scheisskopf,"or "You're flat again."

That would be great. I don't have the capability to spew Morse into the ether, and have forgotten almost all of it; but the other forms of address I can manage (although perhaps shouting 'Scheisskopf" repeatedly in a crowd might not be the best approach, even in Kentucky).

It may be necessary to drag my wife out of one of the rivers and away from the fish, but we've got to eat and drink some time, and she's never against that. I will try to coordinate as the date approaches.
    Gary Merrill

8. Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    I am 56, but since getting married to my wonderful Chinese wife and starting Wessex Tubas I feel like 40 :-)

Do come and see me at the Wessex booth and try all the new models. Don't miss the opening concert Monday evening to hear new work "Synchronicity" commissioned by Wessex Tubas being played by Tubalate.

Members of Tubalate and Wessex artiste Jesse Tucker will also be on the booth throughout the week.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

When do the vendor displays start? Monday?

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    When do the vendor displays start? Monday?
    All I know is that Adams will be setting up on Monday. I don't know if that means like 7-noon or all day or what, and I don't know if all vendors are doing the same.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast